72 Dart not going into park now?

-

awines

Reaction score
Ok so i was working on my Dart and i had to lower the steering wheel/column and i just bolted it back up and released the parking break and it started rolling away...any ideas what i did to screw up the park on the column?

i just got done playing with it some more and now it works..? Im positive this Dart has a mind of its own...

Im positive this Dart has a mind of its own...

Are you saying it is Christine’s niece?

Don’t be concerned until the AM radio powers up, and the doors lock by then selves…

Its not Christine, its much nicer lol. but since i dont have a radio in it (idiot b4 me cut a big square in the dash to put a "sweet new stereo in") and thats what screwed my wiring. But it could totally be Christines niece...since it does what it wants, and ive actually seen it pop a few dents on its own....im just sayin haha

You've probably stretched the shifter linkage when pulling down on the column.
There is a adjust point under the car. Put the shifter in neutral loosen the adjust bolt center the linkage, retighten, check results.

where is the adjust point located at exactly, i ran down the steering column to the trans in the engine bay and know where the shift linkage hits the column but didn't see any adjust points, but i wasn't looking that hard, is it right where i go from column to tranny? the car goes into park now but if i park on flat ground i sometimes find myself rocking the car to get the "pop" to know its in park. so it sounds like your probably on to something with this.

There is a pic of that linkage and the adjust block in every service manual.
You will need to jack the car up at the left front to get to the adjust point.
To try and describe where to find it. Locate the shift lever on the transmission, There is a linkage rod hooked to it. Follow that linkage rod and you'll feel a flat milled on it.
The screw in the adjust block tightens down on that flat.

you got to get under the car & reajust it ever time its lowerd or reajust it by movein the column a little , I just had to do that bacause I put a gas gauge in my dash not longago, but my shifter douse have play in it, so its a pane in the but to get park & first to work, but you just keep working with it intell you get it!

-
Back