72 Dart Swinger, optional OEM Chassis Reincorcement (Frame Connectors)

-

mr_incredibill

Reaction score
Hi!

As some of you have already seen in my introduction thread, I'm living in Switzerland and I'm going to get an imported Car from the US legalized in Switzerland. Our regulations here are quite hard and to get a permission to ride everything on a classic car needs to be as original as possible...

my car had some chassis reinforcement tubes (frame connectors) between front chassis part and rear chassis part.

I only got the pics from the parts already removed

chassis reinforcement.jpg

so actually I got 2 opinions from two different mechanics. the one tells me that those reinforcement parts were, in the days the car got produced, an OEM Part and the other one tells me that there's no chance to proof that those connecting tubes are original MOPAR...

Anyone knows more about that? is it true that these parts were to buy as an extra option or not? Didn't find anything online until now...

Regards

Sascha

They should have been, but no they were not original.
But the bolt-in ones don't work half as good as welded ones.

thanks! Found some information. Its called

1972 DODGE DART Mopar Performance Bolt-On Frame Connectors P4286868

and seems to be an original Mopar part.

Is there any brochure where the optional parts on 72 Dart are mentioned?

They were never an option on any of our old cars, they popped up on the aftermarket much more recently, maybe 20 years or so ago?

The factory did add torque boxes to some builds. They never added these linear connectors.

Last edited:
thanks guys!

as it is an original mopar product i can proof at the inspection authority that it is an 'original after market part'

regards

so you are only allowed original equipment? how do you build what you want? you don't? you can't build anything custom?

so you are only allowed original equipment? how do you build what you want? you don't? you can't build anything custom?

well, it's not as easy as in the U.S.
Every change you make has to be tested.

- If you'd like to change the rims, the import company of the items has to do some tests and has to confirm that these rims fit on this car and that they are in a good quality.

- Body Kits (Fibre glass) not allowed

- Exhaust System: not allowed if to loud

-Changing Brake System: Not allowed even if it's way better than the original ones. My second car is a 2008 Mustang GT (sorry :)) where I wanted to change the brake system to the one oft the Mustang GT500. It's the same car, same axles ect. but I'd never get a permission to drive with this change. In case of accident, insurance wouldn't pay...

You can make some individual test at a place called 'dynamic test center'. But, they'll do some several tests on the item you d like to get permittet. Per example the ducktail spoiler on my Mustang GT. If I'd like to have it legal, they would do some several crash tests with several spoilers and trunk-lids which would cost you several thousand dollars...

on my Stang i changed the Cat Back exhausts, if the authorities check me on the road there's a possibility that i'll loose my drivers license up to 6 months...

- increasing Power (Turbo, Compressor) or changing the engine to a bigger one, almost impossible to get it legalized.

Regulations in Switzerland: Every Car will be checked by the inspection authority all 2 Years, veteran cars (Older than 30 years and in 'mint' original condition every 5 years). Suspension has to work properly, brakes, no leak in the engine, no light system changings, no cracks in the windows, even the wipers and washing system are tested. all the bushings and hinges have to be working perfect. any loose bushing will be noted and has to be fixed. and if there's any rust on the body or chassis, they cancel the permission to drive this car.

I'd say 80% of the cars older than 10 years driving in the U.S. would never be allowed to drive in Switzerland

To my American friends, I work for a Swiss company and through the years, have found it easiest to look at it this way.

These are a people that build tiny mechanical watches by hand and have a national sharpshooter competition.

EVERYTHING the Swiss do is maximum precision. It's not just a way of life, it's genetic!

I would not be surprised if, somewhere, some Swiss person is measuring the tines on his dinner fork to insure they're all the same width apart.

To my American friends, I work for a Swiss company and through the years, have found it easiest to look at it this way.

These are a people that build tiny mechanical watches by hand and have a national sharpshooter competition.

EVERYTHING the Swiss do is maximum precision. It's not just a way of life, it's genetic!

I would not be surprised if, somewhere, some Swiss person is measuring the tines on his dinner fork to insure they're all the same width apart.

well mate, nicely written but really really exaggerated :rofl:

we're really really regulated and in love with details and precision here but not every one is building mechanical watches and participating at a sharpshooter competition *loool*

Last edited:
well mate, nicely written but really really exaggerated :rofl:

we're really really regulated and in love with details and precision here but not every one is building mechanical watches and participating at a sharpshooter competition *loool*
You must be one of the French Swiss;-)

-
Back