72 dart trunk leaking

-

jhaas63

Reaction score
My 72 Dart had a leaky trunk and What appears to be fairly newer trunk weather stripping. Is there a trick or a problem spot I should know about. just washing the car...I probably get a half a cup of water in the trunk. Any advice?

Does your car have any rust around the lower portion of the rear window? Or possibly leaking around the seal at the top part of the trunk........

ya my 1974 dart is leaking in the trunk too I will be getting in the truck with a light while my dad hoses the back part of the car down

I get my son to get in the trunk with good flash lite. then take a hose to it you might be surprised were its coming from..........Artie

My 72 Dart had a leaky trunk and What appears to be fairly newer trunk weather stripping. Is there a trick or a problem spot I should know about. just washing the car...I probably get a half a cup of water in the trunk. Any advice?
Don't wash it??

Back glass frame rust through or some under the vinyl top material along with moulding mounting holes are some of the other trouble spots on those cars.

ya my 1974 dart is leaking in the trunk too I will be getting in the truck with a light while my dad hoses the back part of the car down

Yup, that's how to do it.

Start from the lowest part of the car like tail light section.... water flows downward... then move your way up to trunk seal then lower corners of back glass then top of back glass.

While I was having my back glass sealed, they found the trunk gutter had pin holes in it on the passenger side. You could take a flashlight and shine it from the backside of the gutter and see the light shining throught the holes.

Start from the lowest part of the car like tail light section.... water flows downward... then move your way up to trunk seal then lower corners of back glass then top of back glass.

That's the ticket.

If the trunk seal is a replacement make sure the splice is at the bottom near the trunk lock. If it's elsewhere it shouldn't be. If the seal looks OK does the trunk draw down flush with the body enough to compress the seal? Some of the replacement seals out there are cheap and thinner than the OEM style and won't seal at the trunk lid no matter what.

-
Back