72 demon align specs./ wheel return

-

jerry's demon

Reaction score
does anyone have good front end specs? put in a reman" steer & gear" firm
feel box, & had front end aligned. car steers great, but strg. wheel does not
want to return back when cornering. i'm sure problem is not in the box. front
end is good. i"m thinking it may need more caster angle, but, i'm no frt. end guy. any possible causes/cures? taking car back to align shop mon. car is 72
demon 340 auto. any help is appreciated. thanks.
jerry

have new 5x4"-- 17"x7" mag wheels to put on when fixed.

you are right on the caster. i had to put in more positive caster. it will help. i do not have the exact specs though.

out of courisoity how much of the "sawing the wheel" did you get rid of? i had the same problem after i got my suspension rebuilt on mine. the alignment guy also told me i needed a new steering box. i haven't replaced mine yet but i have it dialed in alittle better now. at least i don't have to saw the wheel anymore. i still don't have the memory steer that i want but it is alot better that it was. again the positive caster will help alot...

i forgot to mention, but the car has power strg. i had quite a bit of "sawing
the wheel".now only have 3 miles on new box ,but it seems ok now. i tried adjusting old box with adj. screw,helped a little but still wandered quite a bit.
will post results and maybe specs if i can get them. thanks for response.

When trying to get the wandering out of the steering box you have to adjust the sector nut first the big tinny one on the end of the gear box and then you can get the adjustment on the top and it takes alot of the slop out.

Also in the steering coupler the shoes in there can be worn or the coupler its self and replacing the shoes helps quite alot.

saved me from a new/rebuilt gear box.

hey jerry can you post the link. i still can't get it to find it. i looked for steer & gear and also steer n gear. no luck

link is---steer and gear.com
this should get you there. maybe not spaces. try it. any problems. we'll
try again.
jerry

a body bill,
looks as though you are really into mopars. this is my first one. i'm trying to learn
as much as i can about them. i always was a chevy guy. i'm a an old guy that just won't
give up cars. my wife thinks i'm goofy. oh,well. maybe we can talk sometime,
seeing you're not too far away.
jerry

You want the most positive caster you can get. Have the alignment guy (or yourself) put the front cam all the way out and rear cam all the way in. Then adjust the REAR cam to get the camber into spec. That is the most caster you will be able to get with your parts and car. Then adjust the toe and drive it. If there is a pull then the caster can be adjusted slightly to compensate.

jerry's demon said:
a body bill,
looks as though you are really into mopars. this is my first one. i'm trying to learn
as much as i can about them. i always was a chevy guy. i'm a an old guy that just won't
give up cars. my wife thinks i'm goofy. oh,well. maybe we can talk sometime,
seeing you're not too far away.
jerry

Jerry,
I don't know what you call old as I'm going on 60 and still playing with the cars.look for every chance to take the race car out!!!!

Kinda getting tired of the show stuff.

Bill

-
Back