72 Demon on BaT... Not mine.

-
'71 front end, oddly no side markers at all
...awesome looking car tho

looks like a flipper to me, id be very cautious about that one

If you watch the driving video, the driver uses both feet - one on the gas pedal full time and the other on the brake full time. Back in the day this was practiced because the engine would not idle properly or run properly off idle without constant pressure on the accelerator pedal.

Why did he shave the side markers? What paint was used in the color change, and what body repairs were performed including all factory panels?

On the 360 - at a minimum it would be useful to know what the engine specs are and what parts were used in the rebuild or freshening.

Painted bumpers on these cars just don't do it for me, but that's just me as I am more of an original appearance guy.

Someone posted on BAT that the rear exhaust extensions should have included factory style tips - I think that would help the rear appearance. Finally the Magnum 500 style wheels are OK but factory style rallyes look better on A bodies.

Nice car.
I would love to see what's under the paint.
It looks to me that there were a lot of short cuts made in it's refurbishment though.
Like the gauge panel painted black, the lack of hoses and squirters for the windshield washer, the painted bumpers, and the shaved marker lights just to name a few..........

my guess, they shaved the side markers like I did because in 72 they were ugly plastic crap. the grill is a 70-71 ( 72 are a ***** to find in good condition ). from the pictures it doesnt look bad.

This is my car on BaT and I told John Collins I wasn’t going to comment but the one inference that actually bugs me is the driving with both feet to keep the engine going comment. I drive all my automatic trans cars that way because that’s how I learned to drive from my father who is disabled and he drove that way because he had too. He can’t drive anymore. The engine runs, drives and even idles just fine.
I’ll go through the rest:
-no marker lights - 2 reasons, I’m not a fan of the 72 and up markers and the AMD quarter patches aren’t punched for them. It was an easy decision.
-painted bumpers - Personal preference really and consider this, it takes more work to straighten and paint them than it does to bolt on brand new ones.
-Flipper be cautious - I built it to sell so yes I am flipping it. Be cautious and do your homework on any used car. I have hundreds of hours into it. Doesn’t make it a bad car.
-What was used in the color change? Color is the same as original but used Limco base and USC clear (body filler where needed and a couple rounds of urethane primer of course) Been using the same products for years.
-what body repairs were done - as noted on BaT, lower quarters, floor patch, trunk work from hitch damage, shaved markers, tail panel replaced. It was wearing nice non original fenders when I bought it.
-Engine mods - noted on BaT. Not rebuilt, stock low miles internals.
-Exhaust tips - you got me there...next time I’ll go stock.
-What’s under the paint - the original paint which was not flaking or peeling or crazing. It appeared very stable. The front fenders were spray bombed by the previous owner so that stuff was sanded off.
-short cuts like no squirters and black dash cluster - The pics were taken before I had installed the squirters and I’m guilty of not installing the hoses yet. In the same “shortcut” comment the dash being blacked out, this is another personal preference. I have hours into getting rid of the horrible fake brown wood but yet keeping the underlying woodgrain.
I build cars how I like them. If others like them great! If not, that’s okay too. It’s a really nice Demon but not perfect.
I think I covered it all, hope that helps.
Thanks for the positive comments!
fs

I almost forgot, the 71 grill was used because it came with the car and it is in great shape except for a couple of the mounting tabs. I searched high and low for a nice 72 grill without success.
fs

-
Back