72 Demon resto

-
That car doesn't NEED a restoration, in fact, tearing it apart to "restore" it would be a shame. It needs cleaned, and do what it takes to make it a driver. It has killer patina that cannot be replicated, it will get A LOT more attention as a resurrected driver, than it ever will as "another" restored car.. just my opinion! I do love the car!!

Got a ton more done. i will charge up the camera battery and get some pics up soon.

doing a bit of rust repair at the bottom of the 1/4's and changing out one trunk extension as it was tapped in the drivers 1/4 a long time ago.

Well here are some more pics, it had a small hole under the vinyl top so i cut a patch out of an old duster a buddy had kicking around rotting into the ground worked out nice. fill ed the seams with metal reinforced filler scuffed that down next will be a very thin coat of bondo to smooth it all out before some paint and the new top goes on. the bottom of the drivers 1/4 needs to go, it got punched in at some point and it left a good sized dent in the trunk extension too so i will pop a new one of those in there to cleanup the old fender bender issues. on the passenger side i can save 90% of the 1/4 and just do some minor patches it will be good as new once done.

DSCF1436.JPG

DSCF1437.JPG

DSCF1440.JPG

DSCF1441.JPG

DSCF1443.JPG

oh yeah swapped it over to big bolt pattern with a disc brake conversion and some axles from Dr Diff.

Nice work.

I suggest you leave the vinyl roof off. Having put a new black one on a Plymouth I owned, I went on to regret it. The thing never looked clean, even when it was only a month old.

They are a PITA, an unnecessary expense, and I would never go down that road again.

I like my vinyl roof. I think it would be perfect on this car. There are still products out there to clean and maintain them.

Cley

The vinyl will go back on. it came with it the wife who's car this is wants it case closed. beside i like it on some cars i have one on my Charger and it looks good i have no issues keeping it looking good.

19420685_10212274299387990_5893350031919358616_n.jpg

thanks man. it was an empty shell when i picked it up rust free but no one panel was dent free! just a 318 car when new so i built it the way i wanted with a warmed over 360 and 727. i also wanted a power bulge hood but could not find a reasonable one while i was building it so it ended up with a super bee hood ialso used 71 grills and pulled in the bumpers to get rid of the ugly rubber spacers and bumperettes.

We have a graphics art section at work so a friend did up some stripes for the summer. i pulled the 340 to give it a freshen and detail as the gaskets and valve guide seals we toast! i freshened the #matching trans and after a season of fun with the car and sorting out any little issues that come from a car sitting this long i will strip it fix any remaining rust issues i find and it will get some paint. i dig the roadkill look but it needs the attention to fix a couple of spots. put in a warm 360 and a 3.91 sure grip. we took it to the local arm drop drags and the wife did her first passes ever!

Last edited:
this is 4 months after we got it when we took it back to give the old gent who had stored it right there under a tarp for 25-27 years a ride. he had always wanted to redo it but cancer.... i am shaking his hand and my wife is taking the pic. she drove the Demon up and took him for a nice tour in the car it was his wish before he checked out so i rushed the car back into service just for that. the Charger is my car. he was pretty choked up but his wife told us later he had a few good days after.

thanks, once i heard he wanted that it had to happen. as a life long car guy i totally understood, i don't think he ever even got to drive it when he bought it.

-
Back