72' Demon Resurrection

-

Newf

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am new to autobody work but think I will get alot out of this site. I have recently aquired 72' Dodge Demon needing full restoration. I am a welder by trade and have a mig, as well as access to a rotisserrie to do the work, What I don't have is experience doing this type of work. I have built mechanic service body boxes, and utility vehicle bodies. So my welding abilities are there, just knowledge of where to start and how to go about planning and removing cancer panels on my Demon is not. Any advice as to where I should start as well as if I should patch panel or replace full quarters, floor etc would be greatly appreciated. As well as advice in wether or not I should media blast. As far as budget goes I don't have a set one. If it needs to get done I'll do it. It may be a 3-5 year project but I'm in it for the long haul and expect it will cost anywhere up to $25K. I am working full time so this will be evening/weekend project. I'll post a link for you to view the car and hopefully be able to better advise as to the route to go. Thanks in advance. Here is the link to the pics. https://picasaweb.google.com/110431076004609395481/20120129?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKihpWGmuaRhAE# Your thoughts??
Cheers,

Joe Welder

Good pics. Will be really nice.

I dont think I will ever scrape or DA another car down. Media blast, even sandblasing on the underside will give you a real visual of what you need to replace. Some like to open up rocker areas and quarters that are going to be replaced so they can get at the rest of the structures at the same time. I'd first try to get the metal needed. If you think you need a full panel/floor/rockers, then get it first. If you need frame stuff, is it small patches? or a good chunk? That door post can be layed in layer by layer, or even sectioned in from a good donor.

After blasting, photograph well before epoxy coat so you know your trouble areas and go in and get them fixed properly.

A rotisserie would be nice :)

Grant

Hi All,
I am new to autobody work but think I will get alot out of this site. I have recently aquired 72' Dodge Demon needing full restoration. I am a welder by trade and have a mig, as well as access to a rotisserrie to do the work, What I don't have is experience doing this type of work. I have built mechanic service body boxes, and utility vehicle bodies. So my welding abilities are there, just knowledge of where to start and how to go about planning and removing cancer panels on my Demon is not. Any advice as to where I should start as well as if I should patch panel or replace full quarters, floor etc would be greatly appreciated. As well as advice in wether or not I should media blast. As far as budget goes I don't have a set one. If it needs to get done I'll do it. It may be a 3-5 year project but I'm in it for the long haul and expect it will cost anywhere up to $25K. I am working full time so this will be evening/weekend project. I'll post a link for you to view the car and hopefully be able to better advise as to the route to go. Thanks in advance. Here is the link to the pics. https://picasaweb.google.com/110431076004609395481/20120129?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKihpWGmuaRhAE# Your thoughts??
Cheers,

Joe Welder
Looks like you have a lot of areas that need attention. Demons are nice for sure and looks like the K frame is a 340 for sure with the washer welded in the front of it. Good luck with the build and keep us posted..

Good pics. Will be really nice.

I dont think I will ever scrape or DA another car down. Media blast, even sandblasing on the underside will give you a real visual of what you need to replace. Some like to open up rocker areas and quarters that are going to be replaced so they can get at the rest of the structures at the same time. I'd first try to get the metal needed. If you think you need a full panel/floor/rockers, then get it first. If you need frame stuff, is it small patches? or a good chunk? That door post can be layed in layer by layer, or even sectioned in from a good donor.

After blasting, photograph well before epoxy coat so you know your trouble areas and go in and get them fixed properly.

A rotisserie would be nice :)

Grant

Thanks for your input Grant,

I'm picking up the rotisserie next weekend. I have a couple of leads on donar demons for the door jam area, was thinking of full quarters & trunk extensions, front inners as well as rockers, and I think I may patch floors and trunk. Any tips on how to remove glass, speciality tools for the crome trim or anything? The trim is in good shape so I would like to save it if possible. If I do rear quarters and have it blasted I will need the glass out.

The media blasting place up here doesn't use soda, but plastic media for paint and option to do rust with a Alum Oxide. Have you heard of this and what might I need to know before I go that route? Thanks again,

Joe

Cool project! i wish mine had a cool factory color scheme like that :glasses7:
make a thread in the members restoration forum for your progress and dont be shy with the pics :iconbigg:

Cool project! i wish mine had a cool factory color scheme like that :glasses7:
make a thread in the members restoration forum for your progress and dont be shy with the pics :iconbigg:

Thanks,

When I get the blasting and primer I'll post more pics, do you have any experience removing chrome trim around windows? I would like to save it if possible to reuse when I reassemble. thanks again for the words of encouragement.

Thanks,

When I get the blasting and primer I'll post more pics, do you have any experience removing chrome trim around windows? I would like to save it if possible to reuse when I reassemble. thanks again for the words of encouragement.
This is what i used, should be able to pick em up from your local parts store..just take your time and be gentle.

Attachments

• 2fid-2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 180
-
Back