72 Demon Side Stripe question??

-

db's demon

Reaction score
Can anyone tell us the exact positioning of the side stripes on my 72 Demon. Does it follow the body line down the middle of the two stripes or is it the top edge of the bottom stripe on the body line? I have looked at about 6 original paint cars and it seems that the bottom stripe has the top edge on the body line therefore the bottom stripe is not touching the wheel well. (It seems that if you follow the center of the two stripes down the body line, you end up with stripe on the top of the wheel well which to me is not correct). It also seems that the bottom stripe is on top of the body line on the front fender. Another question, how far should the top stripe be from the lock cylinder? Is the handle on the gas cap body color or should it be stripe color? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Darryl

I just had my stripe kit installed and it did not get applied properly. I had a 72 Demon 340 that I ordered from the factory as a kid. This was my first car. I have pictures of the car precisely as delivered. I took the pictures to the guy that installed the stripe kit on my current car thinking that if he used it as a guide it would work out right. I think the reproduction stripe kits must be slightly off. Send me your email if you want to and I will try to get you some pics. I like this FABO site a bunch but I have trouble trying to post pics. Bottom line is that the top of the lower stripe should follow the body panel. The top of the upper stripe should be at the top of the bar [handle] of the gas cap.

Best, Frank

The main thing to remember is that these were installed by individual people at the factory. There are frequently variations from vehicle to vehicle and often even side to side on any given vehicle. The best thing to do is tape the stripes into position before installing them and then stepping back to make sure it all lines up properly.

Hey there "72 340 Demon" nice car, but could you possibly give us a picture of the other side, as the gas cap area is very important. It is my belief that the handle on the gas cap should be stripe color. As well, the stripes should not come down on the edge of the wheel well. I received a picture from another FABO member, of his origianal car in 1972, and the gas cap was that way. Thanks, Darryl

Here's my original paint & stripe 71 Demon, hope this helps

Attachments

• DSC00021.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC00044.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC00039.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00038.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC00031.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 104