72' Demon window removal

-

Newf

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if a 72' Demon has cemented windows or non-cemented? Also if cemented, will guitar string be sufficient to cut them out? The manual says to use .028 gauge.

Thanks,

well, my 72 duster was removed without cutting it in a warm garage by two people working one corner out and pushing after cleaning all the way around the edges inside and out with a plastic wedge. this removed most of the sealant in the gasket. If you have no need to save the gasket the wire will make the job easy. feed the wire through the channel into the inside and one person in and one person out and it will be out in minutes... Hope that helps....

I would like to save the rubber if it can be re-used, I do have a heated garage to work in so I can take my time and do it properly. If you don't mind, where did you pick up your plastic window wedge tools? Have you done the quarter glass also?

Thanks

try wood shims from a local home improvement store or the plastic type putty knives. Heat & time are your friends-- once 1 corner is out it comes out quickly. Lawrence

try wood shims from a local home improvement store or the plastic type putty knives. Heat & time are your friends-- once 1 corner is out it comes out quickly. Lawrence

Sounds great! thanks for the tips, do you think it would help to warm up a corner with a hair drier to get it started?

warmer is better-- I'm talking like 90 degree days in full sun--- not sure how garage heat will work-- you want the gasket to be a pliable as possible, maybe some shop lights on the dash to assist with the heat ,Lawrence

Thanks again for all the tips. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Cheers

I wouldn't use a hair drier or any other heat tool that concentrates heat in one spot. Any flaw in the glass and it's going to crack. The back glass is pretty tough so you should be able to save the glass and gasket but the windshield will take a lot more care to keep fron breaking it. They should be readily available though so no biggie if you do. The gasket might be a different story. You might want to check and see if you can get one first before you start.

IIRC there is a rubber insert in the middle you pull out and that gives you some slack to work with.

IIRC there is a rubber insert in the middle you pull out and that gives you some slack to work with.

DING DING DING...

If you haven't already done so, pull the lock strip out of your windshield seal and it should come out much easier.

Plastic spatula/putty knifes are handy.

Thanks again for all the pointers. I was able to remove the windshield chrome trim by very gently wedging my screwdriver in between the rubber and the trim and gently prying up until I seen a little clip that needed another screwdriver to wedge between and a little twist and pop right out comes the chrome trim. There is about 8 clips across the top, 3 or four down each side and about 8 across the bottom. They are equally spaced so once you find a couple you kind of know where to expect the next.

My windshield was already cracked so this one was the experiment. There was a silicone sealer of some kind holding it down so I think with the putty knives and a second set of hands I'll be able to get it out no prob.

here is a link to some pics of the retainer clips holding down the trim.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110431076004609395481/DemonWindowTrim?authkey=Gv1sRgCLWKuYn2m_riiwE#

Cheers,

Joe

Go to any auto body suply store for the trim removal tool its $10.00. When removing the windshield the it has a interlocking fold that folds from the glass out. The rear has a lock strip that goes from lower corner to corner.

After this is done slide a dull thin wooding paint stir.and work your way around the sides and top, inside and outside. While spraying soapy water between to loosen up the sealer between the glass and rubber. This will free it up.

Then use the same paint stirs and use them as a wedge in the corners as mentioned and work your way across slowly.

My dad and I did it this way

Removed the trim and the Lock Strip.

Slid a bondo spreader under the rubber and worked it around to free it from the glass

Took a piece of band steel (the kind they use to strap stuff to pallets/skids... real thin, tempered and flexible) and made a kinda Z shaped tool out of it.

Heated the gasket with a hair dryer and one person worked the gasket & windshield from the inside with their hands & a bondo spreader, the other person worked the gasket from the outside with a bondo spreader (using the z-shaped tool on the corners, they're stubborn)

We had the windshield out in 10 minutes, no damage to the glass or the gasket/rubber.

-
Back