72 disc brakes

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
I just bought my first A-body. It's a 68 Dart GT convertible. It has drum brakes and I would like to convert to discs. I found a complete 72 disc setup(V8 K-member, LCA's, spindles, rotors, calipers, UCA's, swaybar and manual steering box) I know this is the small bolt pattern. Will this entire setup directly bolt in the 68? Would it change the front track width? Would I need a longer steering column? Other then a disc brake master and prop valve, what would I need?

Or...should I just hold out for a 73+ setup?

If both car are v8 the k grime doesn't change. If cars are manual steering (or both are power steering) the columns don't change, that said you can always keep the original steering setup to your car and bolt that steering box to the k frame. Yes the upper control arm and disc brake setup are a direct bolt in and doesn't change you track with (the BBP disc brakes do but I think it's a 1/2" wider). Those k/h are pretty spendy to repair/replace.
If you want to keep the sbp, you have all the stuff you need to upgrade to disc brakes.

Thanks...The 68 is a V8 car with power steering. Maybe I should hold out for the 73 setup if the calipers and rotors are going to be very spendy pieces to replace.

I would go with the K-H. It is original for your year. If you go BBP, you eventually need to change your rear-end and get 4 new wheels, or carry 2 spares. I have seen rebuilt calipers listed fairly cheap recently (~$80) w/ no core needed. The rotors used to be $100, but a few years ago Centric started selling them for $22. Some parts interchange with the Mustang, which is a deep market. You can also get the calibers re-sleeved w/ stainless liners, which is how I understand SSBC got their start. I would go K-H in my early A's if I could get them in my cheap-a$$ price range (not the $750 many ask). Can you tell us what you paid?

I just found the setup. I haven't bought it yet. The guy is asking $250. My plan was to change to the BBP eventually. I thought if there was a replacement BBP rotor that would bolt to this setup that it would be perfect. That would give me the front discs now, and let me upgrade to the BBP when I get around to cutting down a B-body 8 3/4 down the road.

Attachments

• 00h0h_5AVgCUn1dDd_600x450[1].jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 174
If the b body 8.75 rear is a 68-70, just move the perches. No need to cut it down. And you'll gain BBP, but you'll need higher backspaced wheels.

I'm new to this A-body stuff. Does the above picture look like an A-body piece? Is $250 a good deal? I saw someone asking $300 for just the K-member on here.

The front suspension pieces in your picture is from an A Body car.
If you know that it came out of a 72, all the better.
The sway bar that's on it is the style for 67-72 cars, so in theory all those parts and pieces, could be 67-72.
Yes, that price for everything is a damm good deal, in my opinion.
The disc brake set up, all complete, all there, is worth lots, and then there is the sway bar, with the lower control arms, having the mount tabs on them.
Buy the stuff, don't look back, bring it all home.
All valuable parts.
Looks like a good score, good find, in my book.

I went and picked it up this morning. I actually found a BBP setup last night. The guy said he might be interested in trading. I haven't decided yet.

The inner shaft of the steering column is still attached to the box. Could I slide out the inner shaft of my power steering column and slide this shaft in?

-
Back