'72 Duster A/C question

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Evening folks,
Working on my '72, and I have a couple questions.
Inside the evaporator core box it is lined with what appears to be a fiberglass batt type insulation. Needless to say it needs replacement. Will regular pipe wrap type fiberglass work? It appears to be the same thickness, but I sure wouldn't want to put something in there that will retain moisture and create a stink down the road.
Next, the evap. core sits on a galvanized tray. On the front edge of this tray there is a short piece of copper tube that sticks thru the firewall to drain the box. My copper tube has a noticeable bend "up". Is this normal or should it go straight out? Seems like the bend up would cause it to hold water inside the box...
Please help!, thanks.
C

Attachments

• DCP_3331.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 166
  • DCP_3335.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 165
Bump - Surely someone can help me out here...

That insulation serves to prevent condensation on the outside of the box.
Newer vehicles have a replaceable cabin air filter.Ours dont. Leaves, pollen, etc..could cause odor even without any insulation.
The slight bend in the condensation drain tube isn't an issue. Holding a small amount of water will keep insects from nesting in it.

Thanks RedFish, you've been a big help to me more than once during this project...
C

If the drain is on the inlet side of the fan it needs to be trapped or the air being sucked into it will prevent draining and will over flow where you don't want it. The insulation prevents condensation forming on the out side of the box.

lilhows, the pipe is directly in front of the evaporator core.
Thanks,
C

-
Back