72 duster Build progress

-
Sorry I don't have any updates for you guys still.

I really really wish I had updates to give on the duster but i don't yet.

finances and day to day life have taken over and I haven't been able to do anything with the duster. So it has been sitting and patiently waiting for the time I am able to start back in on working on it.

now that christmas is over I can focus on catching up on some bills that had to be put on the back burner.....and hopefully I can devote a little time to the duster.

our baby girl should be here by the end of febuary-beginning of march ...so I am going to try to get some stuff done on the duster while I have some extra "free time". I want to basically get as much done on it as I can so all that really needs to be done after our baby is here is basically paint it and some odds and ends because I don't want to have a huge list of work ahead of me when I need to be home doing daddy dutys lol.

The last big things I WANT to buy for the duster are a passenger side front fender (mine has been dented and "repaired" and redented and "repaired" who knows how many times and its going to take more work to make it look right than i would like to invest. and I would really like to get a rear bumper because mine has been tweaked pretty good by the previous owner when they backed into something and dented the tail panel up.

other than that im looking at mostly labor and the costs of some supplies.
so if anyone has either of those things maybe we could work some sort of a deal out?

anyhow...thats where things stand as of now, I keep dreaming of when it will be done and I hope to have it pretty much done and road ready by this summer!.

Heres video proof that I am itching to drive the duster LOL (click picture below) P.S. might want to turn your volume down on your computer before watching lol.
[ame="http://youtu.be/sp13Yfato3s"]302 Found[/ame]

I tend to go to where the dusters stored when I can and hop in and crank some tunes and sit back and imagine ....cant wait to get back to working on it and getting it done.

Pulled the duster out today and drove it around the block. hasnt been started in 3 months, and fired right up on a cold start and 40 degree weather....so that was cool.

brought it back and positioned it for where I plan on working on the car first. So SOON I will be back to work on the duster!!! gotta get the body work wrapped up because I want to have paint on it this spring!

Awesome, I hope I can say the same thing in the next couple months (accept im going to paint it myself most likely).

Hey there!! Good to see ya on here again, and I am lovin that your gettin back on the Duster.. I cant wait to see some updates.. Things with the Buggy are kind of on hold due to a variety of other issues .. life just loves to get in the way sometimes (I know you know this all too well) .. at any rate.. i'll be watchin my friend lol

Heres video proof that I am itching to drive the duster LOL (click picture below) P.S. might want to turn your volume down on your computer before watching lol.
302 Found

I tend to go to where the dusters stored when I can and hop in and crank some tunes and sit back and imagine ....cant wait to get back to working on it and getting it done.

looks a lot like the deck I have in my Duster :D

looking forward to seeing some paint work progress:thumleft:

Hey there!! Good to see ya on here again, and I am lovin that your gettin back on the Duster.. I cant wait to see some updates.. Things with the Buggy are kind of on hold due to a variety of other issues .. life just loves to get in the way sometimes (I know you know this all too well) .. at any rate.. i'll be watchin my friend lol

you got that right.....things have been so hectic these last few months. and I havent been able to get things back on track long enough to have thing play in my favor.

but soon im going to try and squeeze in some duster time. its been to long now and im having withdraws lol.

looking forward to seeing updates on yours aswell!

looks a lot like the deck I have in my Duster :D

looking forward to seeing some paint work progress:thumleft:

not sure of the model number off hand but its a pioneer. I got it because it wasnt to "flashy" all soft green lighting to match my factory gauges.

Went to my parents house where I have the duster stored today. got the garage organised and got a little work done on the duster and plan on getting more done this week so ill try to get some pictures and post some updates soon.

While I was there I thought it over real hard on something I had been thinking about for awhile. But I thought about changing my mind on the color choice to black on black on black......but I still don't know . Odds are ill stick with the purple.

I thought about doing it gloss black,body color bumpers,silver 69 valiant grill,satin black hood scoops with the silver trim bezels ,satin black 340 side stripes,satin black go wing spoiler, stainless wheel well trim,the silver tail light treatment like came from the factory,stainless drip rail trim and windshield and rear window trim,silver gas gap,chrome door handles,body color mirrors most likely, silver rally wheels with the brushed aluminum beauty rings.

I can see in my mind exactly how I invision it but ill have to photoshop up an example for you all to see exactly what I am talking about.

Anyways.....like I said, It will most likely stay purple. maybe some day down the road i can pick another duster up an do a repaint job on it and do it up the way I am talking just so I can satisfy my wants of having a duster or demon done up in that paint scheme. Its just to hard of a choice to pick one or the other since i like both ideas so much lol

Hey bro, I have to say the car would have looked amazing in purple, but your vision with the black on black looks Stunning when done right. I put up a few pics I had in my collection. I know it's the wrong year and not every option you are planning, but they may give you a nice visual for the matte stripes on black.

Bz5wjg2kKGrHqZigEw5SQUzzBMYClEHywg_3.jpg

Bz50nnwCWkKGrHqFhsEw5B7hiuuBMYCyecEyg_3.jpg

Bz5wgCQBmkKGrHqNh8Ew5JRJ79iBMYCk57Y3_3.jpg

I know what its like when you have a vision dude. Keep up the great work!

yeah I would really like to see it in purple too .

and yes those pictures you posted are a general idea of what I am talking about with the satin 340 stripes on gloss black paint. to me that looks like mean and classy wrapped into one.

Good choice as I think there is way too much plum crazy purple out there. My cuda's previous owner had started to paint the car plum crazy purple but I plan to paint it the original burgundy

went to work on the duster again today......didnt get very far though lol.

installed some aimable flood lamps to focus on the areas of the car that are getting worked on the most. removed the rear bumper and tail lights, pulled out the grinder and got about 20 spot welds ground down on the tail panel and then..........ran out of heat!:banghead: .

its in the single digits here in lower MI right now and we had just got back from town getting supplies and didnt feel like running back into town to get fuel for the torpedo heater. so tomorrow or this weekend ill try to get back on it.

and the torpedo is using about $20.00 in fuel every day to 2 days in this colder weather and it looks like this weekend is going to warm up a beat so it should be less expensive on fuel cost also. WINTER \\:D/ OH JOY. NOT! lol

but atleast im getting something done. need to get alot more done though because in a little over a month most likely our little girl will be here and i wont have as much time to devote to the project. which is why im trying to knock out as much of the body work I can now so basically all that will be left is primer and final sanding and paint!

sorry for not updating earlier.....been busy.

anyhow, had my wife come out and hold part of the quarter panel while I held the other end....all the while pushing my knee into the bottom of the panel,multiple magnets placed in areas,vise grips in other areas,and keeping wedged in the gap the cut off discs that I used to originally cut the panels....as spacers to maintain my gap......all the while making tack welds to hold it in place lol.....not enough hands lol.

but I got er done!

quarter panels is welded in place , now I just need to grind the weld down, make a couple plug welds in the wheel well and along the bottom where the trunk extension meets and my metal work is FINALLY basically done!.

just after the first tack welds to hold it in place
IMG_20110618_162112.jpg

few spot welds in
IMG_20110618_183743.jpg

few more (moving around from place to place on the welding of course to avoid heat build up....and spraying down with air after each weld)
IMG_20110618_193505-1.jpg

and even more
IMG_20110618_195603.jpg

all welded in place
IMG_20110618_205644.jpg

put a little primer on it so it won't flash rust on the metal .....until i get around to grinding the weld down anyhow.
IMG_20110618_205839.jpg

IMG_20110618_205851.jpg

nice and straight with no warping is what I like to see!
IMG_20110618_205942.jpg

Oh and i finished seam sealing off the rest of the trunk floor while I was at it.....sorry if it is hard to see, it was getting dark out when I took the picture.
IMG_20110618_214713.jpg
What is the actual purpose of seam sealer? Im doing my car and thought it was all clumps of dirt! LOL!:eek:ops:

Great job on the Duster so far..i really like it, as for the color change..honestly you have already gone this far with the purple you may as well just finish it i mean its not gonna look bad lol
The idea that yes there may be lots of plum crazy cars on here but you have to think also we all dont live in the same towns and you will most likely well speaking for myself anyway be one of the only ones around with that color. Keep up the good work :supz:

Great job on the Duster so far..i really like it, as for the color change..honestly you have already gone this far with the purple you may as well just finish it i mean its not gonna look bad lol
The idea that yes there may be lots of plum crazy cars on here but you have to think also we all dont live in the same towns and you will most likely well speaking for myself anyway be one of the only ones around with that color. Keep up the good work :supz:

Yeah I wouldnt change my mind based on the fact that others out there have theirs in purple. because noone local to me has a purple duster.....not to mention just the sight of ANY duster around here is few and far between. so no matter what it would stand out.

and like i mentioned, the thought of changing colors crossed my mind but like you said, with the engine bay already being done up I am most likely going to finish it off in plum crazy. and Ill save my other paint scheme idea for a future project maybe.

What is the actual purpose of seam sealer? Im doing my car and thought it was all clumps of dirt! LOL!:eek:ops:

the point of seam sealer is.....well.... to seal seams basically lol.

it puts a stop to debris over the years from falling into the seams and causing a spot that holds moisture which causes rust. stops outside elements from getting in. can help cut down on road noise and maintaining interior temperature (depends on how big of gaps and location of gaps of course) . helps make for a cleaner look once its all in place and painted over.

My dusters factory interior seam sealer was horrible....it was effective but ugly lol. from the factory they just goobered the stuff all over and in large clumps.when you do it you want to make a clean job of it.

that look on your valve covers really inspired me. went to try to straighten my stamped steel ones tonight to get them to quit leaking. instead spent the evening with my 8 inch bench polisher, flap wheels, and rouge polishing up my old set of cal custom finned aluminum valve covers. had em since before i got my drivers license. anyway, mind if i borrow the idea of the engine color accents in the ribbed portion?

michael

Sorry I havent posted in awhile everyone. my new baby girl has been keeping us pretty busy,along with my boy and the rest of the every day stuff.

BUT im glad to say I have been taking time to set aside for the duster this last week with all this nice weather in the 70-80 degree area.

I have pictures but im hording them until I get some more progress pictures so I can unload them here in the thread to give everyone a nice big update with lots of pictures.

but I will say that primer is soon!

stayed tuned everyone.

Glad to hear that progress is still happening with the Duster...Glad to hear things are going well for you and your family...

The weather here chilled back off. And on top of that I sold my truck and then I got a REALLY REALLY good deal on another truck....so I have been dinking around with that a little bit.

so I have not got a bunch more done on the duster since my last post. But like I said before. Im saving up a good chunk of pictures and info and im going to drop them all here in the thread soon. getting closer to primer!

-
Back