72 duster Build progress

-
Cool thanks.. I didnt really wanna touch my headliner, because I dont wanna mess it up!

been plugging away at the duster ....coming home every night looking like I got into a fight with a bottle of baby powder LOL. its been alot of rough work with all this sanding but I am glad to say it is all down to metal now pretty much!.

most of the body work is done now to. now I just need to come through and sand a little on some filler and maybe a couple touch ups but otherwise its looking like primer is soon!. maybe not before the weekend is over because of the crappy weather and because its taken a little longer to get to this point than i originally was thinking. but for sure soon!.

also....while I was standing there sanding earlier I looked over and noticed that I really didnt think the antenna was going to look good on the car....I want a clean sleek look. so I removed the antenna and made a patch panel and welded it in place and ground it down and smoothed it off with filler. will make for a much better look and only took me a few minutes to do and now was as good a time as ever to make it happen. I am just going to install a under dash antenna booster to get radio reception.

progress folks.....stayed tuned because there is more to come.

IMAG0285.jpg

this ones from a day or 2 ago and has since came even further along.I just figured id post it so you can see how the patches came out that I put in that quarter
IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

I forgot to take pictured during the welding of the patch but I took a quick picture right after applying some filler to give you guys an idea of what it looks like.
IMAG0282.jpg

anyhow. thats the latest. ill update you all again when more progress is made!

Looking good my friend. And I remember all to well that look of losing a fight with a bottle of baby powder.. LOL ... I cant wait, soon there will be primer on the Duster.. thats awesome... I like how you did away with the antenna... I had considered doing that with the buggy, but then just had too many other things going on with it and decided to just leave it.. Thats gonna look killer...

Yup I'm glad i shaved it. Alright... Back to work on the duster... Will update soon!

sanding....sanding....sanding.....sanding. oh boy what fun.

tiring work. but making progress. Will update right before primer. as of now there isnt much worth posting pictures of because its so dang dusty lol

more sanding done today. this stuff seems never ending lol.

Im whooped....been working non stop on it.

this weeks going to be busy so I might not be able to put as much time into it as i have been but still going to get it done and ready for primer this week some time im thinking.

our weather hasnt been very cooperative ...today for instance with all the rain and wind....went from 76 degrees at 3 pm to 47 degrees by 6 pm.

ill keep everyone posted on anything new.

Thats how weather is back home even in CA. Will go from 76 to even colder sometimes

looking real good (I wish the metal on mine had been in that good of shape):thumblef:

Are you not taking the door handles and locks off for that work?

looking real good (I wish the metal on mine had been in that good of shape):thumblef:

Are you not taking the door handles and locks off for that work?

yup, door handles and locks I already removed. I just didnt get around to removing them until a few days ago.

already sanded and done.

The metal was "so so" ....you have to remember I have had to replace a few panels and make some patches to get it as clean as it is. But yeah...compared to some it was actually a pretty clean car to start with...only real rust issues were in lower quarters and trunk drop offs and a few odd spots here and there. but its all gone now.

now I am just tweaking everything , making sure all panels are straight and body lines are crisp before laying down primer.

I don't mind sanding primer but I hate the labor intensive repetitive sanding im doing now. cant wait to get primer on it!.

This weather sucks!, its been raining and temps are low. I worked on the duster the past few days but took a break from it today because i dont want to get so worn on on working on it that I get nothing done lol. Not a lot of new updates. just lots and lots of sanding. bringing body lines back and making panels straight and what not in preperation of primer. I got a few pictures of it as it is now that ill load up here later but it doesnt "look" much different than in the last few pictures....but trust me....alot has been done lol. I cant wait to be done with all this body work!

Sorry I didnt upload pictures right away guys. Ive been really busy. like I said.....not different "looking" in the pictures. but its coming along. rough body work is coming to a close. once its done I am going to prime the duster and then I get to do a whole lot of block sanding! YAY! lol.....id rather block sand primer though....atleast its alot easier on ya physically than tapping metal and using filler and file boards and sanders and going through tons of materials. sanding primer I don't mind just cranking the tunes up and walking around dialing the body in. in case you cant tell, im ready to get past this stage of the project lol....primer is close ....which means paint isnt far off either! I am hoping to have it a basically done car by summer.

again....these pictures are from during the work I was doing and not the final product. I skim coated pretty much both entire quarters with filler and sanded them down smooth....to get the panels nice and flat for one and to bring definition back to the body lines ....between where my welds were and 40 years worth of shopping cart dings and what not I didnt expect the panels to be scuff and squirt ready. they probably would have been good enough days ago but I continually find myself finding something i don't 100% like and keep working on them lol. picky maybe......but your paint only looks as good as the body work so I may aswell do it right.

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0286.jpg

looking good!! Cant wait to see her in primer my friend..

your not the only one buddy lol

moving right along look like your going to beat me to primer

we will see lol. gotta catch a break in weather and time between every day life and family to get it all done.

Just wanted to update everyone.....havent forgot about you all, just hasnt been nothing worth mentioning. Temps have been chilly,windy and rainy. and on top of it the power in our area has been hit and miss between the weather and they have been installing new poles and cable in our area and I am tired of all the lights and sanders and what not shutting off right in the middle of what i am working on lol. so I have just been spending time with the family waiting for the weather to pick back up (should be beggining of next week) at which point ill get back hard at work on the duster so i can get it in primer!.

I like it, nice work...and now since I responded I will be able to find this thread much easier and one day sit down and real all 28 pages! :)

I like it, nice work...and now since I responded I will be able to find this thread much easier and one day sit down and real all 28 pages! :)

hey thanks for stopping in!.

let me know what you think of the build when you get a chance to give it a read through.

its been a long slow process but is finally starting to come together.

your not the only one buddy lol

we will see lol. gotta catch a break in weather and time between every day life and family to get it all done.

Just wanted to update everyone.....havent forgot about you all, just hasnt been nothing worth mentioning. Temps have been chilly,windy and rainy. and on top of it the power in our area has been hit and miss between the weather and they have been installing new poles and cable in our area and I am tired of all the lights and sanders and what not shutting off right in the middle of what i am working on lol. so I have just been spending time with the family waiting for the weather to pick back up (should be beggining of next week) at which point ill get back hard at work on the duster so i can get it in primer!.

Dont you just hate it when you have motivation, time and a full head of steam to get something done, and then mother nature has to screw it all up? LOL ... I know all too well how much your chompin at the bit, to get her in primer... Its gonna be soon my friend.. very soon.. :cheers:

You know it buddy lol, its still cold here right now but it did stop raining so today i ripped the masking off the duster and backed it out and blew off all the dust and picked up all the trash out of the garage and shop vaced the whole garage to get rid of some clutter and dust so when the weather warms up a bit i can get around a little easier and cleaner lol. Took a few pictures of the duster while she was backed out of the garage but I'm on my phone right now so i will upload them later. Not progress pictures but just pictures for the sake of taking pictures haha

dinked around with some more body work yesterday, it was cold and rainy so I was moving pretty slow lol. Im going to try and get a little more done today. between the kids,the car and everything else going on I have been pretty whooped lately ....always busy doing something lol.

dinked around with some more body work yesterday, it was cold and rainy so I was moving pretty slow lol. Im going to try and get a little more done today. between the kids,the car and everything else going on I have been pretty whooped lately ....always busy doing something lol.

I know exactly how you feel... When life throws that much at you, sometimes you just dont have the drive or the energy to get anything done on the car.. Heck there were MANY times the buggy was just so far down the list, that it didnt get touched LOL ... As soon as the dreary weather finally breaks, and the sun starts hitting ya again, you'll be amazed at the extra energy you seem to find, and soon the primer will fly my friend..

-
Back