72 duster Build progress

-
due to mothers day slowing things down a bit and due to the fact that the more you sand the more imperfection present them selves ......Im going to try to shoot primer monday now.

all underhood is sanded out,top half of engine bay is sanded and masked aswell as headlight buckets,under trunk and gutters are sanded,one door jam and the half of the door that gets painted is sanded and masked, the other door jamb is almost finished getting sanded and then I have to sand the door and mask it aswell. Then need to a once over on the body and make sure everything is close to where I want it before primer. then back it out of the garage and blow it all off real good and clean up the garage real good, then bring it back in the garage and rip all the wheels off and do a little sanding on the wheel well lips,then mask everything off and prepsall the car nice and clean and spray primer!. sounds like alot but for as busy as I have been on the car this last week....that list doesnt seem so bad lol. hopefully I can get an early enough start on it tomorrow and dont run into any hiccups so I can get it in primer. ill update you guys on what comes about though so stay tuned.

sweet... So, hopefully today is the day... I am looking forward to seeing the Duster in primer.. I hope all goes as planned for ya today. The Dart is finally out of the garage its been in for the past two years lol.. even posted some video of its trip out lol... Im keeping my fingers crossed that you are able to get the primer a sprayin...

unfortunately its not in primer yet guys.

my brother was suppose to come lend me a hand on some things with it today and never showed up and there were a few other things I ran into that took longer than I anticipated. so NOW I am hoping to get it done by tomorrow.....but we will have to see how the cards play out I guess and if any other unexpected stuff happens to poke its ugly head.

I just want to get it in primer already so i can take a little break and so its finally all one shade of color.

I got alot done today but still have a few things to do tomorrow yet. ill keep you all updated.

Well, no primer again today guys....sorry............................

NOT!!!! lol.

So, myself and my dad busted butt on the car this afternoon and later my brother showed up to help mask the jams off and some odds and ends, my wife even helped out later in the day and prepsalled the car down for me.

did some last minute body tuning,ground a couple of welds down I hadnt got to yet,got the wheels and tires off,put it up on jack stands,sanded down wheel wells.....lots of other odds and ends. anyhow after busting butt on it all day I decided it was FINALLY time to start mixing up primer and buster the guns out. I sprayed the jams and inside of the doors and trunk gutters and the upper portion of the engine bay under the hood and a few other odds and ends...and right as I was about done doing all that my jam gun decided it wanted to start crapping out on me (atleast it happened after i was done using it for what i needed it for lol....going to have to rip it apart and go through it. then I busted out my big gun and sprayed the whole car down.

Im going to be honest, I was expecting to find a good bit of flaws in it that I was going to have to fix ( body work starts playing tricks on your eyes after staring at it for so long lol) but after spraying primer.....its looking like im going to have minimal work to do it all. spot putty will take care of almost all of what imperfections there may be. the passenger side fender has a couple little areas I want to tune in a bit more but nothing to serious.

I just so happened to have JUST enough primer to do the job, emptied the cup on my very last pass which finished the job lol.

I ended up spraying the top portion of the engine bay,under the hood,door jams,under deck lid,trunk gutters,and the entire exterior. Im very pleased with it after setting my expectations so low for what I thought it was going to be.

now im going to take a little break because ive been at it every day and am worn out. then when I get back on it i think im going to mess around with some odds and ends of mechanical stuff and THEN get back onto blocking out the body and getting it ready for paint.

As promised....heres your car **** guys, let me know what you think! ( p.s., id like to thank divenut for the help with detailed pictures to help me out with a few things I was questioning.....what do you think divenut?)

going to work
545800_3204862883024_1309704061_32469443_1015099341_n.jpg

during painting jams
543286_10151101682243084_562823083_12971620_895962666_n.jpg

during spraying the quarter
IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

IMAG0358.jpg

came out really nice
IMAG0359.jpg

can you say........what antenna? LOL
IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

IMAG0362.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

doors open a bit so it kind of throws it off, but you can get an idea of how straight it came out
IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

IMAG0378.jpg

Ill try to get some pictures of it in the next few days backed out of the garage in the day time so you guys can see it in full view. let me know what you guys think!

LUCKY!!! If my plans go to **** and my friend cant paint mine, think I will just break down and sand blast the car and primer it so that it can be sanded and painted later.

AWESOME!!!!! It looks great Jerrod. I'm happy for you that she's finally in primer. I remember how good that felt. Enjoy it! And take those couple days and rest. It should start going quick now dude. Great job

Great to see that car in primer, WOW it sure did come out straight. I sure don't see anything but a cool canvas for some PLUM CRAZY!!!!! Ya Baby Ya.

Brad

Holy Crap Jerrod. That looks fantastic!!! :prayer: U Da Man!!! What are you gonna do woth all that free time now the the worst of the sanding is over?? LOL.

Nice job man,
Pat

all that hard work really paid off the car looks great. Looks like you beat me to primer to :/

LUCKY!!! If my plans go to **** and my friend cant paint mine, think I will just break down and sand blast the car and primer it so that it can be sanded and painted later.

I don know about "lucky" lol, I didnt win the lottery and get chip foose to come finish it for me. took alot of work to get to this point . good luck on yours!

AWESOME!!!!! It looks great Jerrod. I'm happy for you that she's finally in primer. I remember how good that felt. Enjoy it! And take those couple days and rest. It should start going quick now dude. Great job
Thanks Bill, yes its a great feeling to get to this stage!.....hopefully things wil go pretty smooth from here out and I can start focusing on getting it finished up. but first im taking a BREAK lol

Great to see that car in primer, WOW it sure did come out straight. I sure don't see anything but a cool canvas for some PLUM CRAZY!!!!! Ya Baby Ya.

Brad
Thanks, im happy with it

Holy Crap Jerrod. That looks fantastic!!! :prayer: U Da Man!!! What are you gonna do woth all that free time now the the worst of the sanding is over?? LOL.

Nice job man,
Pat
Thanks Pat, first im going to take a little break, then probably mess with some odds and ends of mechanical stuff I want to get buttoned up. Then Ill strt in with blocking out the primer and ready for paint.

Man she is looking REAL GOOD!!
Thank you!

all that hard work really paid off the car looks great. Looks like you beat me to primer to :/
LOTS of hard work, late nights,dirty clothes,muddy sweat covered skin,busted knuckles,sanded off finger tips lol....but I made it to this point.....huge turning point in the project for me. sorry I beat you to primer lol....I just had to do it lol. you will get there to buddy!

nice work bro.
Thank you

Well you are lucky...you live about 50 ft from your car...I am about 500 miles from mine :/

was going to take a bit of a break but decided to atleast un mask it and put the wheels and tires on it and back it out of the garage so I could clean up a bit. so I went ahead and took some pictures for you guys.

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0390.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

Its also another massive morale booster to see it out in the sun all one color.. Looks great Jerrod..

now throw some lights in it and go drive it a bit. will help with the motivation some, as well as the burnout. you need quality time in the car, not working ON the car to keep the fires burning. after building a bunch of cars, its the best advice i can give.

looking great though. youre a better man than me. i farm averything past metal work out.

michael

So you basically went through the whole process in written form on how someone would usually prep., their car correct? I just want to know in case I can't get my car to the body shop. I rather work on it then let it sit, that way all I need is paint!

If your not familiar with bodywork or you think there might be rust or dents hiding under your paint and you don't have much expierience in metal work or body work i would highly suggest not to just dive in. This isn't exactly my first Rodeo, I'm pretty much a jack of all trades which is why ive decided to tackles basically every aspect of the project myself rather than farm the work out. However it has NOT been easy!, between lack of help, lack of motivation, lack of free time, lack of space, lack of funds! It has made this project almost 3 years long at this point, so just make sure you have all of you ducks in a row before you just dive in. Not trying to deter you on your project, just making you aware that its a tough gig lol

If your not familiar with bodywork or you think there might be rust or dents hiding under your paint and you don't have much expierience in metal work or body work i would highly suggest not to just dive in. This isn't exactly my first Rodeo, I'm pretty much a jack of all trades which is why ive decided to tackles basically every aspect of the project myself rather than farm the work out. However it has NOT been easy!, between lack of help, lack of motivation, lack of free time, lack of space, lack of funds! It has made this project almost 3 years long at this point, so just make sure you have all of you ducks in a row before you just dive in. Not trying to deter you on your project, just making you aware that its a tough gig lol

i only have one visable dent and I dont believe there is any rust. i have done body work before, but not something this big. My friend has taken classes and he would help also.

-
Back