72 Duster front sway bar install

-

Allencf

Reaction score
Anyone have descriptions and/or part#s for front sway bar hardware for a 72 duster 340… I have original sway bar but not sure how it bolts up? I’ll attach what I think are the pics of bushings but think I’m missing brackets for bushings?

0DA87B09-9474-4499-AD72-4ADE7D9F4DB7.png

F3B1B7E7-24B0-4C7B-9254-DD9BF8A918A4.png

The factory brackets were welded together around the bushings after being mounted on the sway bar. To replace the bushing, you have to cut the welds and spread apart the bracket halves. It looks like your shop did that since your bar is now naked. The question is, what did they do with the brackets? PST sells a poly bushing kit with the strap part of the bracket, but it isn't a direct replacement for the factory bracket — it needs a heavy L-shaped piece to mount it to the K-frame, and this isn't entirely satisfactory as it only provides a single-bolt connection that can flex (or even rip out of the K-frame flange).

Let's face it, the factory bracket was not a great solution. It made for solid alignment and rigidity at the expense of convenient maintenance., and with no ability to change bar diameter. Aftermarket bars use different approaches — Hellwig, in particular, has a very robust and well-designed bracket-and-strap solution.

Looks like the Body shop didn’t return your welded brackets. Once they are in its self explanatory as to where and how it goes

I think with the will and ingenuity you can fit the bushes of your choice to the brackets without cutting them

and with enough weight behind it thread them onto the bar...

mine has red bushes in it, which aint orginal, but the brakects are, and show no sign of any cutting and welding

This is the bolt on, V profiled strip, triangular style, bracket.
someone has managed to sucessfully force in urethane bushes of standard size bore, presumably using some bracket shaped/bush shaped shim or tool and a press.

Dave

Last edited:
I cut one side with a cut off wheel and spread it . Install the bushing press it together and reweld . Looks like they were never touched. I do them all this way.

I see straps for sale on eBay but i don't have the flat bar that the straps weld too .. guess I can get a piece of wide flat bar and drill out for bolts? Has anyone tried this?

-
Back