72 Duster Fuel tank sending unit diagram?

-

H8z2luze

Reaction score
I have searched online for this with no clear explanation... Car is a 72 Duster. I am not at all a wiring guy clearly lol.I have determined the wire going to the sending unit is blue then goes into a connector in the driver side kick panel. From there I have no idea. I did put a new tank and sending unit in the car when I got it. I do not recall a ground wire or strap and I read something about that being needed? Also on the cluster, where the fuel gauge is there are two posts but nothing hooked to them. However there is a circuit board on the whole back of the cluster... Any input would be appriciated.

The sending unit has to be grounded for the fuel gauge to work. I’m pretty sure the wire for the gauge is in the circular plug on the back of the cluster. Find a wiring diagram and print it out.
Here’s the one of the ones I use for my ‘70
BCAC8EAE-FBB6-456B-BAE0-5543904F4F28.jpeg
99FC5F7A-895E-42F6-BC20-D7451E477A0B.jpeg

If you REALLY want to follow diagrams, don't use the 2 page aftermarket ones like posted above, although THEY HAVE their place. They can be easier to follow at times, BUT they sometimes leave out connectors and options.

Go to MyMopar and download the 72 service manual. It got there, by the way, along with a few others on that site, because of the guys right here.

That connector you found mates with a connector in the "instrument panel" section. From the kick connector, it simply goes up to the dash cluster connector, connects to the PC board (not shown in the diagram) and on the PC board trace, runs over to the "sender" terminal on the fuel gauge

Thanks guys! Since posting this I found a couple helpful videos. I grounded the sending unit to the body. (Didn't fix it) I tested the mechanical gauge voltage limiter. (seems to be working) Still isn't working. I did find some random wires with connectors that were just hanging and had 12V. No idea where they went. Nothing very obvious... I also grounded the wire direct at the sending unit and the gauge did not move. Not 100% sure where to go from here. I will check out MyMopar for a diagram. Also There was a resistor of some sort with a spade connector also pushed into the voltage limiter on the middle prong. Not sure that was stock...

Here is two of the loose hot connections I can't find where they go... Top with black and yellow then to the right both red wires. The one furthest away is the door buzzer I figured that out lol.

46B04657-7446-4131-89A6-F0CD6CB96ECE.jpeg

That "resistor" is likely a capacitor otherwise used to be called a condenser. Filters radio noise out from the operation of the IVR and also filters the output voltage from same

So far as the wiring connectors look in the factory manual as I told you and look at the shape of the connector and the color of the wiring.

Last edited:
-
Back