72 Duster Instrument Cluster Identification and Questions

-

Paladin06

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm about to replace the instrument cluster in my 72 340 Duster with a very nice piece sold to me by one of our members but I have some questions first.

First rule lets not assume what I took out of the car is correct. I've found a number of incorrect parts and replaced them.

OK, the old cluster I took out has some small differences and they are.

On the front there is a spare hole just covered with a black plate not used.

The rear there is a small, perhaps 1 inch long, 1/2 in diameter electrical component. It looks like a resistor or something. it has an electrical lead that plugs into a slot at the top of cluster with another piece.

The speedo housing has basically an oval shape. Markings on the rear are 4952275 & 04091 & 301705-1 & 301650-1.

OK, the new cluster I want to put in.

No spare hole on the front.

There is no small, perhaps 1 inch long, 1/2 in diameter electrical component.

The speedo housing has flat surfaces. Markings on the rear are 2984395 & 04091 & 300480-1 & 301304-1.

OK, which is correct or will both work?

I get from your description the round thingy is the noise supression capasitor. It prevents the mechanical limiter ( other plugged in thingy ) from making a pop noise in the radio speaker. I dont have a clue about the hole. A pic would help.

OK, here are the pics and it appears I overlooked something at the time of purchase. The cluster on top in the pics is the new one that I want to install from a 1971 and the lower one is the old one form my 1972.

Will this swap work.

I knew pics would help. I'm trying to charge the batteries right now.

On the cluster pics from the front the top one is 71 and early 72 I believe. The bottom pic is later 72. The "black" hole is actually for the seat belt light. You also may notice the words "lights" and "wipers" are raised on the earlier style.

BTW, Both of those dashes look to be in xclnt condition.......

Sorry, I didn't answer your question :toothy10:. I'm pretty sure either of these will work in your 72.

Do you have a wire plug attached to the seatbelt retractor near the doors?

yup, circuit boards are identical so harness connections are the same. Plug and play :)

Nope, no wire plug and it appears to work just fine ....electrical.

Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question :toothy10:. I'm pretty sure either of these will work in your 72.

Do you have a wire plug attached to the seatbelt retractor near the doors?

Correction.. all lights work, the battery gauge works, the fuel gauge is dead. The needle stays on "E"..

Do I need to reset something?

Please help!

Yep the top one is for 70-first half of 72, the botton one is for mid-72 to maybe 74 I think then they added the emission one I believe.

Anybody got a wiring diagram for the 9 pin/wire connector on the back of the cluster? I had a couple wires come out of the plastic holder and I want to make sure I got them back in the correct location.

Yeah that happens. You'll need a factory wiring diagram. That hamyrack website pobably has it. Just in case ...
The locating key in that connecter is normally in the 12 o'clock position. It's not uncommon for the engineers to draw that connecter with the key at 9 o'clock. The wires remain positioned in relation to that key. If it helps to turn your drawing 90 degrees do so. I mention this due to headaches I've had with another member/owner. After I figured out what he was doing wrong I could only say, "Well... it's 5 o'clock somewhere" LOL
Good luck

-
Back