72 Duster nearing finish

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
Well, Now that the 318 is running good time to start preparing for the 422 conversion. Might wait til fall if I don't get to impatient.

340HP ehaust manifolds to 2.5" TTI head pipe to 2.5" X pipe to glass packs and 2.25" over the axle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9JkI7pDIMo"]YouTube- 72 Duster 340[/ame]

Car originally from ca so less than 1% rust on whole car. Great base to rebuild. Replaced quarters do to estimated 3 accidents (according to the body shop) and the rear tail panel has slight rust around the tail lights. Floor pans had a few pin holes patched with liquid metal. wiper shaft seals were leaking for many years.

Attachments

• 1972 Duster 001.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 918
  • 100_0566.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 903
  • 100_0567.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 912
  • 1972 Duster 006.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 906
  • 1972 Duster 008.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 925
  • ebay 435.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 900
Painted with Sassy Grass J6 and 340 stripe kit, Had a little hiccup during the process. After completion I hit a deer at 55mph and had to rebuild the front end. The pic's here are after the deer strike. My daughter is trying to make claim to the car. She might win over my 2 teen age boys with that look. lol

Attachments

• Duster Deer Damage 01.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 891
  • ebay 495.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 882
  • ebay 498.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 902
422 with Ross flat top Pistons 10.5:1 CR, Comp roller XR280R, Comp Magnum Roller rockers 1.5, stock Eddy 63cc 6077 heads, Eagle forged Crank, Eagle H Rods, Airgap intake, 750 Quick Fuel, 1" Quick Fuel super sucker spacer, TTI headers, 3" exhaust x pipe dynomax ultraflows, 6AL Dist, Ignition. 3200 stall, 4:10 posi 8 3/4 rear. CamQuest puts it at 512 HP hope it's close.

Attachments

• temp%20017.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 887
  • temp%20016.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 886
  • temp%20013.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 846
  • 422 Stroker 750 Quick Fuel.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 878
  • 340 Engine Build 422 Stroker 003.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 874
  • 340 Engine Build 422 Stroker 002.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 879
  • 003.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 896
  • 011.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 879
are u going to fix the damage in the front?where the deer hit at.
yup, already done. My insurance paid the $4000.00 to repair it, no deductable. Here is the after photo. I just painted the grill black last week to match the head light bezels. the hood doesn't close as nicely as it did before on the drivers side by the hinge but I will work on that later.

Attachments

• 47662_175409375817783_100000461664694_477636_6837020_n.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 823
  • ebay 496.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 843
Dustedu2 - Nice work. I'm guessing by the look on your daughters face in both pictures Santa better be leaving a set of keys as a stocking stuffer . . . Well maybe in a few more years anyway. "Santa" (dad) has worked to hard to give up his sleigh without having a few years of fun with it first.

Great work - Happy holidays to you and yours.

Got my TTI 3" exhaust delivered yesterday from Chicago Connection (actually dropped shipped). Free shipping. Bad thing was had to pay IL sales tax so really only saved about $20 bucks. Was very prompt on the order though. Can't wait to install it.

She's Alive!!! Started the 422 Stroker today and got it timed to 18 deg initial. ran it for about 15 minutes (roller cam) and the temp hit 190, dropped to 180 (thermostat opened) then back to a steady 189. I forgot my video camera so when I go back I will get some video and post it. I have a feeling I will be replacing the tires often. lol

Added the drive shaft loop and some y's for electric cutouts today. Still need to finish upgrading the drive-line to 1350. Also spent the last few weeks cleaning and painting the underside. I will tell you grease and grime is the best rust inhibitor there is. The floor pans look new from the factory. Still need to do above the rear end.
Oh yeah, the strap ties are temporary for fuel line lenght and yes, I painted my frame rail connectors J6 Green.

Attachments

• 2011-02-26 15.41.03.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 567
  • 2011-02-26 15.41.12.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 579
Very nice restoration. Mine is nowhere close to the quality you have put into your Duster.

I am restoring a 73 318 Duster; it is very slow since I work overseas and the car is stateside. It was partially restored when I bought it but now I am going back to fix all the little short-cuts they took. I like you tire selection. I would be interested in the front and rear tire sizes and rim selection. Also, I noticed the raised height in the rear. I am using air shocks which I am not thrilled with. Did you redo the rear suspension? V/R

Going to put a Dana 60 in this weekend and run a new drive shaft with 1350 joints front and back. new dana 60 hd housing, new 410 gear, new posi, new carrier bearings ,new green bearing on new axles NHRA Approved and new wheel 1/2" studs. comes with new rear disc brake kit with drilled and slotted rotors with parking brake lever new seal installed.new chrome cover,new 1350 yoke :toothy10:

Attachments

• Dana 60 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 492
  • Dana 60 3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 511
  • Dana 60 4.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 482
Very nice restoration. Mine is nowhere close to the quality you have put into your Duster.

I am restoring a 73 318 Duster; it is very slow since I work overseas and the car is stateside. It was partially restored when I bought it but now I am going back to fix all the little short-cuts they took. I like you tire selection. I would be interested in the front and rear tire sizes and rim selection. Also, I noticed the raised height in the rear. I am using air shocks which I am not thrilled with. Did you redo the rear suspension? V/R
I think they are 275/60/15 and 180/50/15 (not real sure on the front) Super stock Springs Rims are not brand name. Got'em at the Nat's last summer from a vendor there. I will be changinf to drag lites with the Dana 3" bolts. 28"x11" MT's

That will make a big difference for your car as well as the get-up and go. I look forward to see the final product installed.

What did that DANA cost you? is it a moser/strange? or wne that you had put togather? Im getting ready to order one for myself thats why I was wondering

looks like a Gregs Rear End to me......if thats the case..hope you have better luck than I had.The rear ends are truck Danas w/no pinion snubber...but that wasn't the problem...the rear he sold me had "JUNK" gears and appearred to be set up by a 4 year old ...I would not buy a dog turd from him.

What did that DANA cost you? is it a moser/strange? or wne that you had put togather? Im getting ready to order one for myself thats why I was wondering
$1843 delivered. It is a new housing with all new parts and "right Stuff" brake kit. Just arrived today and it's in the car waiting for custom drive shaft. Will let you know how it works.

looks like a Greg's Rear End to me......if thats the case..hope you have better luck than I had.The rear ends are truck Danas w/no pinion snubber...but that wasn't the problem...the rear he sold me had "JUNK" gears and appearred to be set up by a 4 year old ...I would not buy a dog turd from him.
Yes, I did get it from Greg due to the fact that his feedback from 459 transactions is 100% positive. He Also referred me to Todd at "Right stuff" to recommend master cylinder to work with my brakes. That's all I had to go by when searching. I read many articles saying auto's with SS springs did not require snubber, again, all I can do is read :read2: what is recommended. So I do hope I have better luck with mine if yours didn't work well. I will certainly update everyone on it.

I went to his shop and picked it up...he appeared to be geniune...my experience was ..after he gets his $$$$.....he's done.....you get what you got.....its 2/3 the price ..but 1/2 the product

I agree w/the ss springs and no snubber thought

once again..I hope you have a better experience than I had....maybe I just got "lucky"

I meant no disrespect to you...I hope Greg reads this and knows..he's got one pissed-off customer out here in internet land

I agree with HemiDenny.........more than you know. Watch out for which shaft you get :)
I also went with the feedback thing....and don't know who that came about, but who knows maybe the negatives are embarrassed to list their names. I hope you got the the good one. Next time or if any asks...spend the more money and get it right the first time.
Keep us up to date on the rear brake setup....if you need any questions answered ask Denny or me. Both of us have done that and been there.

-
Back