72 duster steering column swap

-

72 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 72 duster that has a auto column my friend gave me a factory 4 speed column out of a 71 demon 340 car with a factory tuff wheel my question is can you swap just the upper column componts or do you have to change the whole thing i am converting to a floor mounted 4 speed so all the auto coponets must be swapped for 4 speed

I don't think you'll have any problems mixing and matching parts but you'll be left with a shift tube inside the column with an unused lever in the engine compartment. It's really not that much work to just swap the entire columns. Disconnect the column electrical harness and shift linkage, unbolt it from under the dash and at the floor, drive out the roll pin at the steering coupler and remove.

I have pics here of converting and assembling a "floor shift" column if it's helpful: http://70duster440.com/interior.html

The 4 speed column is trashed my auto column is mint that is why i had hoped to change upper parts the upper parts on four speed just need a little tlc to look good

I still might be inclined to pull it and do the work on a bench. Once you get the upper snap ring off (just below the signal switch), the upper section can be removed. There's a bearing in that upper section and either the whole thing will wiggle off the shaft or the interference will be too tight and you'll have to use a puller, which you can make.

70duster440 thanks for all the great advice and your link answered most of my questions but i hope you have input on one more my 4 speed column has a key release section that is not on my column or yours the hole you have to put the allen screw in to attach lower section is not on my new column do you see this as a potential problem or could this be one those dont know till i get them both apart

-
Back