72 duster street/strip project

-

71gtdart

Reaction score
well, since the 71 Dart bracket car is finished and doing well, its time to get back on the project that I was working on before I stopped to start the Dart. I decided to spend the extra coin and find a solid car to start with on this project.

long story short I found it while searching Ebay for cars within 200 miles of me so that I could go look at them before buying. found this one an hour away with a new 360, 904, 8 3/4 with 3.91 gears, and decent paint with a new vinyl top.

guy was super nice and put it on the lift in his shop for me to inspect it. had bought it for his son but the kid showed no interest so it was up for sale. he told me the reserve on Ebay was $6,000, and he could not go lower. car was everything he said it was and then some. just solid as a rock, so I paid the man and brought her home.

heres what I got for my money

I drove it for 2 months and then decided to start my build into the car that I wanted. the first thing that happened was a complete change over from gold and beige interior to black. then it was off to the paint shop to get what I thought Chrysler should have offered.....a black duster with red 340 stripes!!

in the pics you notice the front end sitting high because I pulled the 360 and 904 and sold them. BIG BIG FAT MISTAKE!!!!!

my intention was to jump right into building my 68 model 340 and use it with my 727 tranny. I did indeed start the build just days after selling the 360 drive train. got the short block put together and then stopped to decide what to do as far as heads. all the while my racing buddies are hounding the crap out of me to finish my dart race car that I only have a little left to do on. with racing season coming I let them talk me into leaving the duster project and finshing the dart.

so in the shop my duster has sit waiting its turn again. well, its turn is here and the original plan has changed a little bit.

new plan is a street/strip build. looking to build something that will run high 7's or low 8's in the eigth mile and be street friendly. should not be to hard to do. the first thing is going to be to get the fuel cell and battery in the trunk and ready to plumb fuel lines to the front. should have some parts here on friday to work with and I will get started on it.

going to build it in the evenings after work as time allows and on the weekends that I don't race.

you guys follow along and comment as you like. I try to do nice work and usually turn out something anyone would be proud of. however, while I will make things nice, all of it may not be as top notch as Crackedbacks scamp.

Enjoy guys, and thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_2847.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 317
good looking duster...love the red stripe.

Paul

thanks Paul.

the stripe is actually painted on instead of being a decal. I just had to have it done that way, lol. it actually cost me a little more, but was worth it in the end when the clear coat went over it all. I ordered a stripe kit with the tail panel graphics and side stripes. I then took them to a buddy of mine who does graphics work and had him make them out of masking tape to use as a stencil on the car. painted the red on the sides and the tail panel, and after it dried for an hour, the masking got taped on and then the black was sprayed. after drying the masking was peeled and the car was cleared.

its hard to see it in the pic but the tail panel is red as well.

ok, so I finally got a little time to work on the duster. I started in the trunk with the fuel cell and battery relocation.

I didn't want to cut the trunk pan in the car because of how solid the car is, and decided to make a bolt in mount for the fuel cell. that way I can take it back out if I ever wanted to sell the car and put the stock gas tank back in.

the fuel cell is a 16 gallon RCI that came with the hold down straps. after studying for a few moments I came up with a mount design, took some measurements and fired up the welder.

the front of the mount has 2 legs that are 6 inches long and go down into the spare tire well. the rear has 2 tabs that sit on the trunk pan behind the spare tire well. a bolt in each tab will hold it in the car. on top I welded the bottom pieces of the fuel cell hold down. although I dont have them installed in the pic, I used black plastic square plugs in the ends of the square tubing. you can get them at Ace Hardware in the hardware section. they are used to put on the bottom of metal chair legs.

all that was left to do was put the cell on top and bolt the hold downs on. I'm not a master craftsman, but I think it turned out pretty well. gonna save the battery relocation spill. that one is pretty straight forward. thanks for looking.

this is what I started with. sorry for the trunk being so nasty. been sitting in the shop for a long time with the deck lid up.

View attachment IMG_2931.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2932.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_2934.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2935.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 268
that is a super cool color combo!! Think I would have cut the trunk floor and lowered the cell some. Very nice build. MORE PICTURES!! :)

that is a super cool color combo!! Think I would have cut the trunk floor and lowered the cell some. Very nice build. MORE PICTURES!! :)

LOL, thanks. the cell isn't sticking up near as far as it looks like it is in the pics. I started to cut the floor, but I just couldn't do it. I don't really have many more pics of the Duster at the moment. I think I have one more of it with my other 2 cars in my shop. I will post it at the bottom of this post. its a really nice car. I'll be posting lots of new pics here as I get time to work on it between work and racing. thanks for looking.

duster on the right

View attachment IMG_2937.jpg

My Dart is very offended!!! :) LOL

Nice looking car and great starting point.

Cool fuel cell rack.

LOL!!!

I've been meaning to go back and fix that in that post. I had Mad Darts scamp on my mind as well, and let it all run together.

Sorry, lol.

well, I guess we can trash this thread. I sold the duster friday.

I'm gonna get thrashed for this, but let me tell the reason.

found a VERY nice 77 volare wagon for sell with the following completed:

416 stroker with forged eagle crank and H beam rods, forged SRP pistons, edelbrock stage 2 heads, Comp .605 lift solid flat tappet cam, Harland Sharp roller rockers, air gap intake, 830 cfm Holley, 1 3/4 TTI headers into a 3 inch exhaust, the engine was built by Compu-Flow, and has less than 200 miles on it.

tranny is a 998 torque flite with a Turbo Action manual reverse valve body and a 2.74 low first gear set.

rear is an 8 3/4 with 3.73 gears and an aburn posi unit.

springs moved in with an offset shackle kit and has a new set of Cal Tracs under it along with 9 way adjustable calvert shocks in the rear.

12 gallon fuel cell and battery have been installed under the factory cargo area in the rear so that it will meet NHRA/IHRA tech rules. has a holley electric pump with 8an run to a holley regulator.

front end is totally rebuilt with all new bushings and suspension. new manual steering and disk brakes. also, has Calvert 90/10 shocks on the front.

new aluminum radiator and auto meter gauges and tach. also has a Hurst Quarter Stick shifter. Wheels are the Jegs brand Weld look a likes with skinnies up front. tires are Mickey Thompson front and rear. they are regular street tread tires, not ET Streets.

the car ran 7.40s at the track and was spinning the crap out of the tires. the best part.........the guy drove it across town to the track and has driven it around town some without any trouble since he got the engine in. That ET was with a 4.56 gear though.

did I mention that it comes with an aftermarket 904 case by A&A Transmission?

all this turn key for under 10 grand.

going to pick it up when he gets back from vacation and the Mopar show at Carlisle.

sorry guys, I know its not an A body, but I'm a sucker for a hot rod wagon.

Pics of wagon!!! I am jealous, came so close to pulling the trigger on one a couple years ago

we'll do. Gotta wait til july 13th when he gets back. Its one cool ride for sure. Green with the woodgrain center and a roof rack.
Gonna ditch the wood grain and do a paint job.

-
Back