-
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynbyu2

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm selling my 1972 Duster. My mom bought the car brand new in 1972 and gifted the car to me in 2003. I have the original sales invoice, build sheet, owner's manual and binder of all service work done on the car.

This 318 2bbl car has 72,*** documented miles on it and is completely original. There isnt a single ounce of body filler anywhere on the car. The AC puts out nice cold air. There is one small spot of rust on the car. If you look carefully at the picture of the left rear taillight, you'll see it there. It was caused by a cracked/dried out taillight gasket which has since been replaced.

The car has a map light, fender mounted turn signal indicators, AC, power steering, AM radio and rubber floor mat. The seats, dash and rear package tray had covers on them from day one and the car is stored in a garage in Sacramento, CA.

In August of 2011, this car won an award at the California Automobile Museum in the "Best Original / Unrestored" category.

Not interested in trades as I have too many projects already.

Must sell. $9000 or best offer.
Ron

Duster101.jpg

PA210606.jpg

P6230852.jpg

P6230853.jpg

PA210609.jpg

PA210608.jpg

P6200551.jpg

PA210607.jpg

P6200555-1.jpg

Thank you! We took it to Hot August Nights in Reno last year and had an absolute blast in it. I almost hope it doesn't sell until after Hot August Nights this year as my wife and I would both enjoy a repeat of last year's good times.

With the exception of the minor rust spot and the slight wear on the driver's seat, it looks immaculate.
Beautiful Duster, and good luck with the sale.

It's sad that even with seat covers on, it still left a blemish on the seat. I guess there's enough friction between the seat cover and the seat to do that over the course of 40 years.

Come on.....someone must have a rust bucket they're tired of pouring time and money into. Buy this beauty instead!

Back in the 80's / early 90's , a 1972 Duster like this would've sold for $800 - $1,000 . My how things have changed (a double-edged sword for certain) .

In my opinion , this is probably going to be a tough sell . Why ? Well here's why , in my opinion , it'll be a tough one :

- Undesirable body colour ;
- Manual drum brakes
- Manual steering (unless I'm missing something ...)

Its strong points are also what makes it a tough sell . It's too nice to modify (something as simple and common as a disc brake swap will ruin its originality factor) .

Personally , I like its interior the most . Those cloth & vinyl , plaid insets seats are my favourite ; the rubber floor mat instead of carpet is also my preference ; and that fact that its dash is unbutchered for a radio is a strong point .

If its body wasn't in such nice condition , I'd consider a repaint in , say , B5 , B7 or even W1 .

Good luck with your sell . I hope that it goes to the right home !

If only you could I could be happy with it the way it is it would be a great deal, But 340 727 buckets console duals.AHHHHH!!!!!

Back in the 80's / early 90's , a 1972 Duster like this would've sold for $800 - $1,000 . My how things have changed (a double-edged sword for certain) .

In my opinion , this is probably going to be a tough sell . Why ? Well here's why , in my opinion , it'll be a tough one :

- Manual drum brakes

Its strong points are also what makes it a tough sell . It's too nice to modify (something as simple and common as a disc brake swap will ruin its originality factor) .

Personally , I like its interior the most . Those cloth & vinyl , plaid insets seats are my favourite ; the rubber floor mat instead of carpet is also my preference ; and that fact that its dash is unbutchered for a radio is a strong point .

If its body wasn't in such nice condition , I'd consider a repaint in , say , B5 , B7 or even W1 .

Looks like it has power steering...big plus!!, I can make out the pump and line/hose. The B5 interior is awesome...and it would look great in W1. I got a one owner '70 duster from California in '07 and it had no rust. A big plus. Less money to repair that kind of damage and easy to disassemble parts compared to the rust buckets here in Ohio.
Good luck , as well, with the sale!

- Manual drum brakes

It does indeed have power steering!

My feeling is that it will be a tough sale becuase the economy in Northern California still sucks. I took the car to "Mopars in the Park" here in the Sacramento area on June 23rd. There were people buzzing around the car all day. Over 50 people took flyers I'd made of the car with my phone number. Even with all that buzz, nobody could pull the trigger that day and nobody has called.

The great thing about the car is that it costs me next to nothing to keep. Heacock Insurance for this car is less than $100 a year and my registration is $82 a year.

I have a 360/727 setup I could pop in this girl, but in my opinion that would kinda ruin what it is. I LOVE Petty Blue and with the blue interior, it would be almost a no-brainer......but again, not for a true Survivor car.

If need be, we'll keep the car and enjoy it for however long it takes to find the next owner. My wife and I are "Car Crazy Childredn of the 60's" and have enjoyed the hell out of this car for the last 2 years. The local car shows and especially Hot August Nights in Reno are pure bliss for us. We set up chairs and watch as people circle the car and talk about "the good 'ol days". I always get a kick out of all the people that tell me they learned how to drive in a 70's Duster.

If I didnt have other projects to finish, I wouldn't even think of offering this car for sale. But in the end, the sale of this car will let me finish my next project car in one fell swoop.

I appreciate everyone's comments on this forum. I am certainly no Mopar expert, but with the knowledge base here, I'm making strides.

FlynByU2 - It really is a beautiful survivor ; and within that realm , it's also a double-edged sword . Those manual drum brakes are the weakest link in the chain , as a conversion to disc brakes will ruin the originality aspect ; but on the flip side , disc brakes are , in my opinion , mandatory for a driven vehicle .

I've seen a '73 ( 225 Slant with a floor-shift 3 speed manual ) in TB3 Blue with B5 cloth/vinyl seating and rubber mats , and that combo looked nice .

You know --and I'm going to backpedal on what I've said previously here-- this '72 would make a great basis for a 340 replica . Just keep it looking the way it does , but throw a bunch of 340 stuff at it ( engine , 727 trans , 8.75 diff , upgraded suspension / braking ) without changing its outward appearance .

Good luck in whatever you do :glasses7:

FlynByU2 - It really is a beautiful survivor ; and within that realm , it's also a double-edged sword . Those manual drum brakes are the weakest link in the chain , as a conversion to disc brakes will ruin the originality aspect ; but on the flip side , disc brakes are , in my opinion , mandatory for a driven vehicle .

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/

Should be able to get a set of ceramic drum brakes for the car to help stopping. FWIW I have a 68 B-Body with 4 wheel drums and it drives okay. Getting ready to go to the the ceramic brakes on the B-Body though so fading won't be as bad after repeated hard stops. If the guy was closer I would have to think harder about that car. This car would make a great sleeper. I would leave the 340 stuff off and run as is. I would even consider stroking the 318 to 390 and get the 904 to run a low gearset or build the 318 to be more a 340. Sure, it would't get traction for crap but, it would be a fun sleeper suprising people. I would even consider running a single 3" tailpipe and run a painted 4bbl intake manifold.

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/

Should be able to get a set of ceramic drum brakes for the car to help stopping. FWIW I have a 68 B-Body with 4 wheel drums and it drives okay. Getting ready to go to the the ceramic brakes on the B-Body though so fading won't be as bad after repeated hard stops. If the guy was closer I would have to think harder about that car. This car would make a great sleeper. I would leave the 340 stuff off and run as is. I would even consider stroking the 318 to 390 and get the 904 to run a low gearset or build the 318 to be more a 340. Sure, it would't get traction for crap but, it would be a fun sleeper suprising people. I would even consider running a single 3" tailpipe and run a painted 4bbl intake manifold.

I've never had an issue stopping this car with the drum brakes. These Dusters weigh-in at about 2800 lbs. Although disc brakes would be an improvement, I've never needed em. I rebuilt the master cylinder last year before Hot August Nights and it stops wonderfully. Even coming down the long grade from Reno to Sacramento, I never had any fade or diminished braking.

Your sleeper idea would be a riot! That would be a huge hit at the track.......this baby blue Duster running 12's!

The only thing I'm seriously considering changing is the wheels. I'm looking for a set of Ralley Wheels. Of course I'll keep the original wheels in case the new owner wants them.

Unless my monitor color is way off, I'd say that's not Petty blue. Factory Petty blue would make it worth more, it needs the 999 paint code to be Petty blue.
It is nice but I think you might want to look at what $9000 buys now-a-days. Then again what do I know about California? To me you guys pay WAY to much for your houses so maybe $9000 Dusters are common LOL!

Nice 72 Duster. I hear ya on the Nor Cal/ Nev economy in the tank.

Unless my monitor color is way off, I'd say that's not Petty blue. Factory Petty blue would make it worth more, it needs the 999 paint code to be Petty blue.
It is nice but I think you might want to look at what $9000 buys now-a-days. Then again what do I know about California? To me you guys pay WAY to much for your houses so maybe $9000 Dusters are common LOL!

999 is wrong its actually code TB3 for 1972

Sorry for the misunderstanding...my car is B1 Blue Sky. I was just saying if this were not a survivor car, Petty Blue would look amazing with my blue interior.

yeah I think a wheel change and some dual exhaust would actually help the car to sell. Need to sport it up some.

This is what I'm really looking for an original unrestored car and a survivor. I wouldnt change the car at all. I would keep it just the way it left the factory.

I dig the color combo and wouldnt change. I think if I was going to drive it much I might add some ralley wheels and keep the originals tucked away for big car shows and points.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship the car to VA. I know I dont have your full asking price.

Let me think on this and maybe get some info from you on your location so I can find out how much it will cost to ship the car.

nice car , some 15'' rallyes & dual exhaust would make it perfect .

This is what I'm really looking for an original unrestored car and a survivor. I wouldnt change the car at all. I would keep it just the way it left the factory.

I dig the color combo and wouldnt change. I think if I was going to drive it much I might add some ralley wheels and keep the originals tucked away for big car shows and points.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship the car to VA. I know I dont have your full asking price.

Let me think on this and maybe get some info from you on your location so I can find out how much it will cost to ship the car.

PM replied to.

Finally some interest!

In response to those interested, here are the additional pictures that were requested.

Also, there was a request for the fender tag numbers. I took a picture of the tag, but it may not be that clear so here are the numbers as I read them.

EN2
L25 L31 M21 N23 N95 R11
V1W U G11 G33 H51 J25
HB1 B1B5 GB5 622 259911
E44 D34 VL29 G2B 483940

Hope that helps and keep those PM's coming!
Now here's the pics.

P7060858.jpg

P7060859.jpg

P7060860.jpg

P7060861.jpg

P7060862.jpg
(Thats my reflection below the rust....not more rust.)

P7060863.jpg

P7060864.jpg

P7060865.jpg

P7060867.jpg

P7060866.jpg

P7060870.jpg

After decoding the fender tag, I realized I left a couple of options out.

Electric Ignition
Roof Drip Rail Mldg
Tinted Glass - All
Remote Mirror
3 Speed Wipers
Trunk Light
Fender mounted Turn Signals

I couldn't agree with you more. this car needs to stays as close to original as possible. Would love to have three hours and a lift to photo document this car. When they are gone they are gone.... These cars have there own tent at Carlisle for a reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back