72 Duster Tire/Rim Size?

-

Nyssa

Reaction score
Ok newbie here lol :glasses7: :newb: I have a 72 duster and we just dropped a new front end conversion kit in it changing the bolt pattern from a 4 to a 4 1/2. Since we added the disc brakes it's changed everything up! I'm looking at putting Cragars on and was told a 15x7 rim would fit it. Anyone know for sure? Now once we get that figured out, if it is a 15X7, what tire size do most of you run on your fronts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Yes I'm a girl and not all that mechanically inclined so if I say "do-hicky" or "thing-a-ma-bob" I apologize up front. :D:D:D:angel9:

WELCOME good to have you... I tried 15" wheels with a 205/70 tire and they hit the front corners of the wheel openings I'm not sure what offset they where but I'm sure you will get your answer and a whole lot more soon. By the way it is said "Thing um a Bob.Lol It is kind of cute you even blew the saying...Bill

Yes, A 15 X 7 will fit on you duster as long as you have the correct backspace. I still have the small bolt pattern on my duster with 15 x 7 rallys, with a 4-1/4" backspace. I run 215X65X15 BFG tire. My rear rims are 15 X 8 rallys, with a 275-60-15 tire.

Attachments

• my duster and trophey 002 (Medium).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 367
Fanofpetty,Where did you find the wheels??? I dont want to change my axles and rotors...Bill

you can get them right from summit, or jegs. They are made by wheel vintiques, and also speciality wheel makes them as well. They also use the stock trim rings and centers.

WELCOME good to have you... I tried 15" wheels with a 205/70 tire and they hit the front corners of the wheel openings I'm not sure what offset they where but I'm sure you will get your answer and a whole lot more soon. By the way it is said "Thing um a Bob.Lol It is kind of cute you even blew the saying...Bill

LMBO Thats what I ment to say! My fingers type faster than my brain works sometimes!! The offset is what's throwing me, I have no idea what I need or how to figure it..... like I said not really mechanically inclined lol. Do most people use spacers when they change up the tire and rim?

Yes, A 15 X 7 will fit on you duster as long as you have the correct backspace. I still have the small bolt pattern on my duster with 15 x 7 rallys, with a 4-1/4" backspace. I run 215X65X15 BFG tire. My rear rims are 15 X 8 rallys, with a 275-60-15 tire.

Again, newbie lol what is the back space and can I just tell the store I'm buying the rims from that and them know what I'm talking about?

Backspace is the distance from the lug nut holes, to the edge of the rim. This is on the backside ( or inside) of the rim. I hope this makes sense. Anyway 4-1/4" to 4-1/2" is what should work for the front of your duster. Any wheel company will know what bacspace is, but be sure to tell them what you want.

I am running a 215-65-15 on all 4 corners of my '72 Duster. I will occasionally get some tire rubbing of the LF corner.
15 x 7 cop wheels, 4.25" backspace IIRC. And welcome aboard!
C

Backspace is the distance from the lug nut holes, to the edge of the rim. This is on the backside ( or inside) of the rim. I hope this makes sense. Anyway 4-1/4" to 4-1/2" is what should work for the front of your duster. Any wheel company will know what bacspace is, but be sure to tell them what you want.

Ohhh gotcha! Thanks so much! I'm really trying to learn this stuff! I can work on a tractor or lawnmower any day but for some reason this wheel stuff is confusing the heck out of me! I appreciate all the information guys! Yall are lifesavers! :toothy7:

As I have said before " FanofPetty " you tire and wheel combo is spot on , looks great.
I have heard of some running 225-60-15 tires on the front ( basicly the same size )

Frank The Wheel Guy

As I have said before " FanofPetty " you tire and wheel combo is spot on , looks great.
I have heard of some running 225-60-15 tires on the front ( basicly the same size )

Frank The Wheel Guy
Thanks for the compliment !

15x7 with 4 1/4 backspace CMX Wheels with 1/4 inch spacer in the rear to clear the spring clamp on the front of spring pack
Up Front 225-70-15
Out Back 275-60-15
Front tires are only 1/2 inch shorter than rear tires
All of this is mounted on my 73 340 Duster with stock suspension and stock length A body rear end

Attachments

• CMX Wheels 275-60 and 225-70 3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 308
  • CMX Wheels 275-60 and 225-70 4.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 337
  • CMX Wheels 275-60 and 225-70 5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 336
  • CMX Wheels 275-60 and 225-70 6.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 301
I have 15x7 on the rear with 275x60 on the rear

Attachments

• dus whel 004.jpg