72 duster turn key nothing help?

-

GoldDuster340

Reaction score
I am having a power and starting problem with my 72 duster 340 when i turn the key i get nothing? battery is good 12v+ so that is good all grounds are clean 12 volts at coil when key is turned I have a complete factory wiring manual went through everything every wire from dash to engine compartment all perfect if i jump the relay the starter solenoid does click? any suggestions?
Not sure whats wrong.....

the ignition switch wont click the starter relay ?
Neutral safety switch might be the cause.
Starter bendix drive works when you jump the relay but the starter doesn't turn ?
Bad starter is the likely cause.

4 spd car ill check the switch, it should on the clutch pedal correct? also can i bypass this in any way for now?
thanks for the help

A 4 speed car may not even have a neutral safety switch. Good luck

I think it has more to do than just the safety switch on the clutch pedal i dont even get any oil/brake etc lights on the dash when i turn the key going to have to see a professional bummer $$$$

but thanks for the help

I am currently tracking after my own set of electrical gremlins, so I am fresh in the brain on this stuff...

Aside from a dead battery....seems like if you have no power to the dash lights when you turn the key to "run", it would be either a bad ignition switch or maybe a bad connection at the connectors at the base of the steering column. Or maybe a bad fuse...not sure there is a fuse though for "ignition".

I was thinking fusible link, but I kinda thought that powered EVERYTHING, not just ignition.....do you have headlights etc if you switch them on?

The fusible will disconnect everything inside the cab.
The first post said power to the coil which comes from inside the car, so.... I give up.

Ok try this, block the rear wheels, put car in neutral, run hot wire from battery to + side of coil then jump across the starter relay and car should start..when it starts check to see if any gauges, lights indicators etc. work...if they work now the ammeter went bad on ya....

UPDATE
Well after messing around and going over everything it turns out i have more problems than it thought but repaired most so getting there.
First issue

First issue the bulk head connectors on the firewall some connections were not making a good contact so i fixed that now i have lights for the car power etc whew!
Second I think I believe the starter relay has gone since i still get nothing when i turn the key but do get voltage at coil etc.
I tried to start it from running a normally open button from the starter relay and the starter solenoid just clicks so now that problem number two LOL yay!
Third the dash lights are flickering so i noticed on the circuit board behind it a few of the pins that the connector go to a really loose and and not making contact wiggle it and some con on so going to replace the circuit board for the cluster.
Anyone have a cluster or circuit board for standard valiant dash for sale?

Well this is what happens when you restore a car tear it apart then try to put it back together 4 years later LOL
Can't wait to be done be sure to add more pics to the ones i put up a few years back.

-
Back