72 Duster: You can lead a horse to water, but...

-
He signed over the title just past Christmas 2020. He was relieved to be done with it!
The gas cap is attached with a plastic adapter that was once offered by a member of this forum.
Thats good. It's a shame he lost interest in it especially seeing how far it came. It happens alot I see it all the time I'm glad the car was fortunate enough to be in good hands when its owner ditched it! Lol

Awesome story. Glad you ended up with the car. Too bad Lipshitz lost interest, he's still your BIL so I guess he'll get a pass.
Subscribed:thumbsup:

Awesome story. Glad you ended up with the car. Too bad Lipshitz lost interest, he's still your BIL so I guess he'll get a pass.
Subscribed:thumbsup:
Yeah, It was a hard pill to swallow....admitting to myself that my hopes of having a car buddy in the family were fading fast.
I decided to gather some seats to take to the upholstery guy. My 67 Dart had these buckets....

Dart blue 2.jpg

IMG_9050.JPG

I have a few rear seat cores to pick from too.
The upholsterer really likes it when I bring in seats that still have usable covers like this. He can use these as patterns to make the new ones. This is cheaper than ordering Legendary seat skins and takes far less time.
I considered putting these seats in the Dart...

0200.JPG

I decided to leave them in the Duster until I get the new seats back. I don't know what I'll do with these. I'll keep them but don't know where I'll use them.
For the Dart, I put in a set of buckets that I got from a buddy. They were in some car at the Pick N Pull. They are non power and recline.

IMG_9052.JPG

IMG_9054.JPG

The Dart is a beater so function matters to me over factory correctness.

Yeah, It was a hard pill to swallow....admitting to myself that my hopes of having a car buddy in the family were fading fast.
At least you had the time you did with BIL, that neither he or no one can take away, plus next time he comes to visit you can go the garage and reminisce. It's not just about working on something together it's the camaraderie. And, he is your wife brother so it gives you something more than just a BIL.

If you have a good wife and inlaws that is the big deal.
People that have never put the $ and work into these old cars sometimes see it a a distance and say, wow! I would love to do that and have that. Then reality sets in. That is whey there are so many old cars in the garage in a big pile of parts!

If you have a good wife and inlaws that is the big deal.
People that have never put the $ and work into these old cars sometimes see it a a distance and say, wow! I would love to do that and have that. Then reality sets in. That is whey there are so many old cars in the garage in a big pile of parts!

Absolutely. Plus, they see shows on tv that make restoring a car look like a 2-3 weekend endeavor. I have friends and neighbors that give me **** all the time about how long it's taking to build my 66 Dart. It's hard to ignore sometimes, but it just isn't worth it to me anymore to provide them the education.

That's a cool looking duster! Bummer he bailed on it but it can still be made into a fun car to have. I too always have hoped that someone in the family would get into the hobby but everyone has different interests so I have accepted it.

What's the plan for the wheels?

Wheels often make or break a car. I like the "Bullitt" wheels but they are pretty common.
A polished outer with black center would look nice with the black stripes the car has.

Wow kern that duster look so good wish mine was good at that but the car been thru hell by several owners in mid 80s.

If you've never built one you don't know what it takes. I'm gonna say you did $20-30k worth of work and parts at least. Looks like the interior and some tweeking left. Amazing skills, few can do body and mechanical.

Subscribed
My first car was a 72 Gold Duster, white with a dark yellow "alligator" vinyl top, /6, ac, 904. Seeing yours here brought back a ton of memories.

-
Back