'72 Frame repair

-

MoparManiac117

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been on here but I need some help. I bought my '72 Duster a couple of years ago and the car needed some major work. The guy I bought it from tried to back half it by cutting out rear frame rails and failed...bad. I've finally got some money together and found some new rear frame rails to return the car to its original setup. I don't have the equipment or the skill to do it myself, plus I wanted a roll bar in the car. I took it to a local chassis shop about three weeks ago to have all the repairs and work done. I talked to them yesterday and he said he still needs another piece. He said he needs the piece that ties the left and right side rails together that runs all the way back from the end of the tranny tunnel to the rear of the car, the piece the shocks mount to. I guess I'm just confused as to what he's talking about. Is he just talking about the rear cross-member? Can someone elaborate on this? He said he's gonna need the car out in the next couple of weeks, so I guess I need to find this ASAP. Thanks for all the help in advance.

That sounds like you need a complete floorpan? Rear shocks mount to the floorpan where it goes up over the rear axle.
Surely you would have noted the floor missing along with the rear frame rails...
C

I guess the question to ask him would be if he needed just the shock mount. Since he says he needs it from the "end of the tranny tunnel" is he talking about the floorboard under the back seat to the trunk with all the reinforcements and mounts attached? Guess you need to make a phone call to find out exactly how big of a piece he's talking about....

Do you need the crossmember?
74DusterBars049.jpg

Or do you need this piece
74DusterBars050.jpg

I have a crossmember around here that's been removed. The shock mounts run through the crossmember and that floor section.

Let me know if that's what you need.

The way he made it sound, he needs the entire big piece like what crackedback is showing is his reply and he would trim off of it what he needs. The rear floorboards are still in tact, minus needing some minor patches here and there. So maybe just the cross-member? He's already out of the shop today. I'll call him first thing in the morning or maybe even go by early tomorrow afternoon and show him this those pictures and nail down exactly what I need...

Brett,

If you need that stuff let me know. I can ship it greyhound like the rails....

I've been talking to some other people and I think I've figured out what I'm gonna need...
rightrear_frame_circle.jpg

I'm going to confirm this, though...

That is on the backside of the large pan I posted above. If I took the picture point the other direction, you'd see that section/piece

The crossmember that runs between the frame rails is right below that area and supports the shock mounts.

Can you get a picture of your car interior section?

That is on the backside of the large pan I posted above. If I took the picture point the other direction, you'd see that section/piece

The crossmember that runs between the frame rails is right below that area and supports the shock mounts.

Thought so, just wanted to make sure.

Can you get a picture of your car interior section?
Maybe. I'm taking these pictures in with me so he can specifically tell me what I need.

After talking with my guy and seeing my car for the first time in about three weeks, I'm actually going to need more than just that cross-member piece. I'm actually going to need the entire piece of sheet metal where it starts sloping up and over the rear end (right after the tranny tunnel, part of the floor pan) and at least back to where is slopes back down to form the trunk floor ( the more of the trunk floor I can get, the better, as it saves me from having to buy a repop one). And it needs to be as wide as wheel tub to wheel tub (I think the measurement is around 52" on my car).

I realize this is a HUGE piece of sheet metal and would be difficult to ship. I know of some Mopar only junkyards around me, though, and am really good friends with a restoration guy that does exclusively Mopars, so he knows where I can find stuff like that.

-
Back