72 # matching. from turn key 2 restore, back to turn key.lol

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
well, i picked this car up last week. it is a numbers matching 72 340 duster. tx9 paint code. the guy i bought it from was a straight up guy, and swore on this car. i took his word for it, and trailered it home for 5,500.00. that was with the engine and trans sitting in the back of the truck.

here is a few pics right before i dropped the engine in, and put the grille back in

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 380
  • 002.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 379
  • 003.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 005.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 378
  • 006.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 378
  • 007.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 372
  • 012.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 376
now here are some pics as i put the engine in, grille in, aand all the trim back on the car

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 375
  • 014.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 013.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 365
  • 010.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 369
  • 009.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 370
wheeew, I was hoping this wasnt a for sale thread ( I seen you pick up cars in the past and then resell them a short time after) I would have been dissapointed because you got a HECK of a steal on this car and it looks REALLY sharp......KEEP IT and ENJOY it!!!!.

ohh, and congrats on the score

so,,,,,,,,, after getting the whole car back together, i was planning on just driving the wheels off of it, but as i looked at the body, it needed more work than just some touch up. the whole paint job from years ago, has like tiny bubbles on the whole car, a little rust spot on driver side lower quarter wheel well, a few small holes in the trunk. passenger side rocker has a small hole, driver dogleg has a small hole........ just little flaws that needed love. now do not get me wrong. this is one of the best bodies that i have had my hands on. if you look down the side of the car, it is straight as can be. and being black, it shows everything.

as i look over my finances at the moment, i can wiggle in a base-clear paint job, if i do all the grunt work. there is a paint-body man down the street from me and made a awesome deal with me. if i pull the car apart, he will weld in any metal that is needed, sand off all the garbage paint, and supply all material for 850.00 i do my own body and paint work, but i started to figure the cost of the base-clear, and all the sandpaper, primer-sealer........... i cannot do it for that price. i guess that when you go out of your way to help people, it is rewarded.

so as of yesterday at 5 pm, i have gone from a turn-key driver, to a complete driving shell. lol i'll let the pics speak for themselves.
very little rust in the passenger front floor. the part of the car i thought would be bad lik all the others i have had, was around the front windsheild. all the trim tabs are there, and no rust at all. one spot on passenger side has surface rust where the paint peeled, but over all, in great shape.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 009.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 008.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 007.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 344
  • 006.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 005.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 359
  • 004.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 360
  • 003.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 359
  • 001.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 002.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 358
few more....

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 354
  • 015.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 350
  • 014.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 353
  • 013.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 012.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 011.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 362
holy cow, you mean business lol ,cant wait to see the finished product!

yea, it took me like 5 hrs to wire wheel the floor in it, and seal it. i think it turned out great, and now i got to drive it to the body shop in the morning.lol i am going to be so bored witout my car. i will miss her while she gets a facelift.

i cannot imagine how alot of you guys can take years to do a project.....lmao. i could never let it take that long. i am too impatient. granted, i work for myself , and build turbo 4 bangers. so i do have the time. but i get too excited, and will spend countless nights outside. from like 9 in the morning, to 4 the next morning, 6 nights a week.
i know that you guys take pride in your resto's as i do too. i do not shortcut them. i do them to the best of my ability, and they come out great. i can imagine what it would look like if i took my time the way you guys do.

wheeew, I was hoping this wasnt a for sale thread ( I seen you pick up cars in the past and then resell them a short time after) I would have been dissapointed because you got a HECK of a steal on this car and it looks REALLY sharp......KEEP IT and ENJOY it!!!!.

ohh, and congrats on the score

easy now.lol this one will not be on the market.lol but life throws some curve balls, so you never know..................................

well, it is now at the body shop. i guess i'll restore the grille and tail-lights in the mean time

here is a few pics at the shop, after one wet sanding.......

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 003.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 002.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 001.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 238
well, i just picked up the duster from the body shop, and i got it almost back together.

i did not want to try to put the bumpers on solo, as accidents do happen.lol it was bad enough trying to put the abs healiner back in by myself. those things are heavy for being plastic. my arms kept getting tired, and i had to keep setting it down.

got the grille in, carpet in, all lights, new door handles. i did not buy the sail panels, so i have to get fabric to make my own in the morning.

Attachments

• black 340 restoreing 001.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 173
  • black 340 restoreing 002.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 179
  • black 340 restoreing 003.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 188
  • black 340 restoreing 004.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 164
  • black 340 restoreing 005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 184
  • black 340 restoreing 006.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 184
WOOOOOHOOOOOO:cheers:

glad to see it coming together!!!

definitely a keeper. hope to see you hang on to it!

I just installed my headliner in my duster too....same as yours.

man what a pain in the ***! doing it by myself sucked!, I had to rest it on my head while I was trying to hold it up and flat with one hand and then lining up the visors and domel ight was a task in itself.

I didnt bother putting the clothes hooks back on in the back.....and for the rear view mirror.....I put the screws in the metal and then dabbed red paint on the screw head and then pushed my headliner against the screw heads so then I could see where I had to put my holes.

then I tool a seal pick with a 90 degree bend on the end of it and heated it up with a lighter and poked it through the headliner where each red dot was......and TADA my holes were right on the money and I installed the mirror.

the headliner isnt a PERFECT fit.....but its not bad at all.

do you have any up close pictures of it (in the rear window gasket area and where you folded the flaps over one another and what not) .....if so send me a PM so I can see how you did yours.

looking great though! its coming together nicely

great job.I thought the abs headliner was a 73 on but my 72 scamp has it too

yea this 72 duster had it too.year one gave it to me for 200.57 shipped, and said it was on back order. kevin said it would be 3 weeks to a month, but it has been a week and it was here. they are some great guys with awesome custmer service at year one

duster72, i do not have any up close, but will snap a few tommorow. you are correct. i had to use my big head too, and it was still a pain. mine too, did not fit exactly, but i am very happen with the finished product. i did not put the upper seat belts or hooks on it

-
Back