72 scamp factory air -Do i have to convert?

-

73dart360

Reaction score
The compressor on the scamp went the fan works fine but the compressor does not kick in i took off the little valve cover stem and pressed it there was pressure in it but slight, if the compressor is gone do i need to switch to the new refrigerant system or can i buy a new compressor and be good

I would just convert it if I were you, as it isn't bad to do at all and the old R12 is a bit hard to find and EXPENSIVE.
It sounds like you may just have a leak somewhere, as the compressor will not cause low pressure.
It might leak at the seals causing the refrigerant to leak out though.
Really the best advice I could give you is to take it in and have it tested for leaks.
They use a dye in the system and an ultraviolet light to find the leak/leaks.
Once that leak is fixed it's an easy swap to 134A refrigerant.

Personally, I would jumper the compressor to make sure it comes on in the first place, and then go from there with leak checking.

Just because you have pressure under that valve does not mean you have enough r12 in the system to make it work.

Yup...if you do convert it....might want to look into changing the condenser....and putting a fan on it....I did on 3 different vehicles that I did the swap on....made a noticeable difference...

where can i get R12 to even test it to see if it works?

If you don't have an A/C license, you can't even get R12 here. Even then, it's in something like a 25 lb can. An HVAC supply house would be the best source.

There's a low pressure switch on the A/C system that is supposed to shut down the compressor under low freon conditions. The suggestion to run a lead to the compressor clutch with the motor running to test the clutch and compressor is a good one.

There are some A/C techs on FABO. Hopefully one will chime in with some skilled direction to resolving the problem.

I saw some R12 on here a while back for $45.00 a can if I remember right.

Don't waste your money on a new compressor if you don't know whether it's bad or not. If there is a leak or other problem causing it to not work then you've thrown away your money. It's worth the money to have it checked by someone reliable who won't rip you off. There are some places that will sell you anything they can to make an extra buck. Be careful. Maybe request some suggestions as the where to take it from members who are in your area.

Like others have said, have the system checked. They can pressurize the system and pin point the leak if there is one. As for running straight R-12 and paying $50+ a can, there are alternatives. You can use Freeze 12 which is 80% R-134a and 20% HCFC-142b. It's usually under $10 a can and is a great alternative to use in a R-12 system. If you want to run R-134 you should change the style of compressor and condenser. R-134 usually doesn't work well in a system made for R-12 I've found. Ive run a Sanden style rotary compressor and 134 with good results.

-
Back