72 Scamp wiring to ballast resistor question

-

HotRod20

Reaction score
My Scamp is a 72 original 318 car. I ordered an M&H engine wiring harness for a 72 A body 340,(since I was going to my install my rebuilt 340 this week). I noticed the new M&H ballast resistor wiring is diffrent than my single element ballast resistor. Does anyone have a picture of what the original 72 wiring at the ballast resistor should look like? This car was a project bought couple years ago,and it ran and drove fine,.... before I decidied to do an engine swap. Now, that I have the engine out the engine harness looks crusty and Im finding more splices in the engine harness wiring than I'm comfortable with.
Year One part number for the M&H engine harness shows it fits 72 A body,318 or 340 with electronic ignition which the car has.
HR20

Last edited:
Here is the deal. The older, original Mopar electronic ECU needed 5 pins and one of those got power from a resistor, incorporated into a 4 terminal dual resistor. By the way the two resistors are different values

Newer ECU boxes only need the same 2 pin resistor as breaker points, BUT a 4 pin box can use either the 4 pin resistor and harness, or a 2 pin resistor and harness

You cannot always tell a 4 pin from a 5 pin box "by looking" because many newer 4 pin boxes have 5 physical pins. You must check resistance from the "5th" pin to the box ground and the other pins to determine if it is "open." (not connected)

Colors vary, but most years use dark blue from the firewall as "ignition run" coming out of the bulkhead and fed from the ign switch. This wire may have a second one branching off from the resistor, and that feeds the VR, the alternator field (70/ later) electric choke if used, and smog doo dads on some years

The second terminal goes to the coil + and this has a second wire, normally brown, branching off from that terminal. This is the resistor bypass during starting, activated when the key is twisted to start, and feeds the coil hot full battery power for starting.

It matters not which end of the TWO pin resistor these are connected. The 4 pin resistor is a different matter

-
Back