72 swinger v8. Torsion bar question

-

mikess68

Reaction score
I have the torsion bar against the frame. The bushing are shot I can see. So would the bars be fine after new bushings. Do they get weak? No damage no rust still have spring. Don’t want to replace unless needed. Any help, ideas ?

They don’t get weak, the spring rate does not change.

They do sag, so eventually what happens is you run out of adjustment on the torsion bar adjusters and the ride height gets lower. As long as you can keep the ride height you need you can run those bars, assuming there’s no damage.

That’s said, if they’re original those are really old springs to be trusting your suspension to. And if you’re running radial tires, the factory spring rate is inadequate even if the bars are perfect.

If you decide to replace the torsion bars we do have 1" diameter bars available. They will provide a modern ride and feel without be harsh. If you do a search in this forum in respect to the torsion bars you will find that most members recommend a 1" bars minimum.

Here is a quick link. Plus as a member of the forum you are eligible for a discount as well.

Torsion Bars

Thanks
James From
PST

I have the torsion bar against the frame. The bushing are shot I can see. So would the bars be fine after new bushings. Do they get weak? No damage no rust still have spring. Don’t want to replace unless needed. Any help, ideas ?
Weak...no.....but they will fatigue after a time and run out of adjustment. When they do, they will sometimes snap. If there's still plenty of adjustment to keep your road height correct, no need to change them now, but, if you do need or want new bars, do as has been recommended and get some heavier duty ones.

-
Back