Status
Not open for further replies.

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
Rating - 95.8%
23   1   0
Contact seller
i have a 72 340 in my 70 340 duster that when i bought the car was told it was a 71 340. but the seller has made good on his end so now i will use the money he refunded me and the money from this engine to go with what the car is supposed to have. i know that it will cost me about 4,000 to build the engine right, so please no lowballing.lol

it is a 72 engine 340. cast crank. runs and drives perfect. this engine is complete drop in and go needs nothing. 1,000 plus the ride

engine is located 30 minutes from martinsville international speedway in va

70 red 340 4 speed 011.jpg

So you are selling your 340 so you can get and build a 340? I was following your other thread.

You have a 340 now. Just bump the compression, slip in a modern cam and you will be at or over the power level of a stock 70 340 for well under $4,000.

I guess I don't understand why you think you need a different 340 for your build.

Are you going to include the cast crank flywheel with the sale? I thought I read somewhere that the manual transmission cars in '72 still had the forged crank and automatic cars had the cast crank. Then in '73 both engines got the cast crank.

Chuck

So you are selling your 340 so you can get and build a 340? I was following your other thread.

You have a 340 now. Just bump the compression, slip in a modern cam and you will be at or over the power level of a stock 70 340 for well under $4,000.

I guess I don't understand why you think you need a different 340 for your build.

i do see what you are saying in a way, but my problem is i hate the down time with a machine shop, and figured i would pick up a already built engine..................... unless you want to give a very descriptive list of things to be done to my engine to be about 400 hp.lol

i will include it if i cannot use it on a 70 engine.
i really was not trying to be date code correct. it is just that my 71 engine in my last car was wicked, and this just does not feel as powerful as the other engine. but of course i am just going by the butt dyno.lmao

You are hung up on this cast crank thing, I think. You do not need a new 340 to get 400hp.

Take those factory rated HP numbers and push them out of your hear. You are not building a 100% stock engine. The 340 you have now will work as well as any other 340 for a 400hp, 340 build.

Sounds more like a compression thing. The '72 wouldn't be as "snappy" as the pre '72 motors because of the compression.

Chuck

You are hung up on this cast crank thing, I think. You do not need a new 340 to get 400hp.

Take those factory rated HP numbers and push them out of your hear. You are not building a 100% stock engine. The 340 you have now will work as well as any other 340 for a 400hp, 340 build.

ok, well maybe i'll just pm you, and you can help guide me through this ordeal.lol

i do too think that it has to do with compression. what if i take the 1,500 that the seller just sent me, and put that into my engine? what would i be looking at h.p wise? rough estimate

Sounds more like a compression thing. The '72 wouldn't be as "snappy" as the pre '72 motors because of the compression.

Chuck

Probably. I think he has the impression that he needs a earlier 340 to get his compression and power up.

Being that he mentioned $4,000 for a build, everything he wants could be had out of the engine he has.

wow,$1000 for a complete 340?Thats a good deal,if it is for the entire engine.blah,why do these deals gotta be so far away?lol
Wish I wouldve saw this before getting my 360.=\

What I am trying to express to you is that a 340 is a 340. What year you have really doesn't matter when we are looking at rebuilding with aftermarket parts.

lol, I'm not the one you want to get specifics from. I'm more the king if generalization.

But with $1,500 you should be able to make the good 72 340 you have greatly outperform a stock 70 340.

Others will provide the technical stuff.

well, i am all ears.lol

i am marking this sold............ to myself. thanks to 68formulas340.

You should start a new thread. Mention that you have a stock 72 340 that you would like to outperform a stock 70 340.

Mention the rest of your drivetrain, gearing, if you want headers or not. What fuel you want to run. Do you want to stay with the intake and carb you have now……

Shouldn't be a very big deal getting you where you want to be.

Darnit JOE-- I sold a 1969 complete 340 and built a 1972 340 that Dyno'd 478 HP. I did drop some money into it but it shows you can't go by the build date it has to do with what you put into it.. the only way to beat cubic inches is with cubic dollars. Do your research and plan your motor accordingly, by the way $1000.00 for that motor is a GIVE AWAY it is worth lot's more, you have to remmember they don't build 340's anymore. Don't give it away too fast just to build a motor let it build the motor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back