72' Wiper motor in a 71?

-

71Duster

Reaction score
I pulled a 3 speed wiper motor from a 72 Dart for my 71' Duster. There shouldnt be ny issues in the swap?

Also it had in the harness a Brown with yellow tracer wire that ran down into an engine wire harness and not to the wiper motor. Any ideas?

Can you buy paint that matches the gold finish on the case?

I've run up against this on a 72 Swinger I had.
Do the assemblies (gearbox and motor) appear the same? Do you know the dif between 2 and 3 spd wipers motors? If they look the same they should work, just trace the wires to see if they connect in the bulkhead connector the same way.
As far as the under dash pivots and draglinks go, there were 2 types in 72 Darts so I suspect Dusters have 2 types also. Check and make sure the arm on the motor is the same or use the one from your original. Apparently a changeover year.
Totally Auto has a pretty good selection of detail paints.

Eastwood also sells a kit(think it takes more than one paint to do that gold tone) to replicate that finish. Don't know how well it works.

Yes the gearbox and motor look like they have never been apart. I know the difference as my car has a 2 speed right now and I want to change over to a 3 speed if this one works -It was cheap- I need to find a switch though as well. What years of switch are compatible?

Still unsure of the Brown and Yellow wire that came from the bulkhead connector but didn't run in the harness to the motor, and no Its not the one that ran to the electric washer pump

It also has the arm on the motor too so I am good there, I plugged it in to my bulkhead conenctor and it will run off the 2 speed switch just not correctly of course.

Findign a switch might be the fun part, someone had gutted the Dart I found it in at the wreckers already. Slant 6 4 door car.

I think there might be a little more wiring involved. You might get lucky and just have to run 1 more wire from the switch to the motor, can you look at the harness from the car it came out of?

I have a 3 speed switch if you are interested. The Brown with yellow tracer wire goes to the wiper fluid pump. PM me if ya want the switch. I'll guarantee it also.

The pump will work by pushing in the switch.

Yeah I'm going back to see what other wireign from the switch to the bulkhead the car has before I get too carried away.

The brown with Yellow tracer is NOT the washer pump as I unplugged that wire which is only brown. This wire ran into a harness that went to the right of the engine bay and down towards the bellhouseing on a /6 car.

when I went to a 3spd in the '68 newport I had to use the compleat harness from the donar car. not a big deal since my harness had fried and I had to replace it anyway. It would have been a pain though if I wasn't changing the harness at that time, because the switch was hardwired into the harness.

Sorry for the bad information. I could have sworn it was the brown with yellow trace. Again Sorry. Here is a link for the wiring diagram for a 71 valiant. It shows the brown w/tr going to the wiper switch. And the brown going to the washer pump. #-o

My 71 Duster was a slant 6. Now a 340. The brown w/tr. on mine is like the drawing.

Here is a link for the wiring diagram for a 71 valiant. It shows the brown w/tr going to the wiper switch.

http://www.mymopar.com/66to71_wiring.htm

hope this helps. Still have the switch if ya like.

aloha.

Yeah I'm going back to see what other wireign from the switch to the bulkhead the car has before I get too carried away.

The brown with Yellow tracer is NOT the washer pump as I unplugged that wire which is only brown. This wire ran into a harness that went to the right of the engine bay and down towards the bellhouseing on a /6 car.

I think I'm going to pass on the swap, theres a far greater amount of wiring to complete it then I thought and Bubba who stripped some of the car hacked 90% of the dash harness to hell rather then unplug things. I found a wire from the inside of the bulkhead that runs to a relay of sorts under the glove box and a blue and white whire and grey wire running back to the fuse panel.

If I had a better donor maybe I would swap but for now I think I'll stick with my working 2 speed and sell the 3 speed

Thanks anyways!

sounds like a smart plan.

Just an FYI. You can still get the connectors and repair the harness id ya wanted to...someday

-
Back