727 2nd to 3rd flare up

-

moparfury123

Reaction score
i have just put together what i had wanted to be a daily driver a 67 fury (not an a body but looking for help) the issue i am having is a flare up or hesitation to shift from 2nd to 3rd

i have just put together the car and have not had it on the road that long but the problem has started after 3 or 4 weeks of driving my kick down was adjusted using the wide open all the way back method and worked fine untill recently i have tried moving it in and out with no change other then the 1st to 2nd shift getting firmer or softer and 2nd to 3rd also changes but it is still behind 1st to 2nd in feel as of now to get a proper 2nd to 3rd shift i have to have my kick down adjusted to a point where 1st to 2nd feels like i have a hard shift kit and 2nd to 3rd feel satisfactory also at this adjustment i cant achieve wide open throttle since my kick down wont allow it to move

i have been told to do a quick band adjustment to see if it helps i was told the one on the outside of the case handles 2nd and 3rd i was wondering if this would be a good recommendation

also this car was sitting for almost 5 years apart with the trans drained i just put in a rebuilt 318 and used the trans as is since the pan looked good and clean so i slapped a filter in and filled it with dex/merc

most mopars i have or play with are all 4 speeds (i can set the kick down and gear shifs on them all day:D) but when it comes to the autos i have no clue where to start on repairing them

Hi.
I'm new to the 727 transmission also and by no means consider myself an expert but I just tore one down and rebuilt it ( not to mention I stayed at a LaQuinta last night) :)

Seriously though, what I learned is that he adjuster on the outside of the case above the lever is for the front band and holds the front clutch pack drum. The specification is to loosen the lock nut and torque it to 72 in lbs then back off 2.5 turns ( if your apply lever has a ratio less then 4.0). Then lock it down.

Some others suggested using a small wrench and turning the adjuster until it is snug then backing it off the 2.5 turns before locking it down.

Ratio adjustments:
less than 4.0 back out 2.5
4.2 & 4.25 back out 2.25
5.0 back out 2
other back out 2.25

I hope that helps... .

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Take care.

The front band adjustment can be the problem if it's pretty far out of adjustment. Check and adjust as needed. If it proves to be adjusted correctly it sounds like the front clutch pack seal or reaction shaft seals are leaking or the front clutch pack clutches are worn out.

Just went thru the same type of issue ,remove the valve body and air pressure test the front clutch assembly ,and listen for the engagement or you will air leaking, just a side note the front assembly does not engage as hard as the second gear assembly

The 1-2 shift is easy and it doesn't take much to make it harder. The 2-3 shif trequires a little more work in terms of shift kit type mods. If you have a flare up (rpms climb partway through the shift and then the rpms drop as the trans "goes into" 3rd) then it may be a wear or pressure issue. I would suggest the pan be dropped and the screw on the pressure regulator be turned 1-2 turns clockwise. It takes a cut-down allen wrench to reach into it while it's installed. After that - readjust the kickdown (2nd gear) band to the 2.25 setting, put it together, and drive it. You should have to tweak the kickdown too. Normally 3rd is not as harsh or firm unless you're at full throttle and even then it's not as quick as 1-2.

..........that would be anti clockwise unless u want to lower the already low line pressure....I would suppose ur kd is set properly with the proper linkage....kim........

This may be splittin hairs, but I figured I'd throw it in the mix. I've never gone 2.25 turns. I always go either 2 turns or sometimes even 1.5 on both bands and have always had good success.

My 904 trans had the same issue as yours. After I determined it wasn't a drum seal problem, turned out it was a timing problem.
A member here said to remove one of the springs in the front servo. Now the 2-3 shifts great, not as firm as the 1-2, but no flare.
My throttle pressure linkage did the same thing as your's too. I ended up making the intermediate rod longer and it solved that problem.

On the 1-2 shift, all that happens is the kickdown band applies to stop the front drum from turning. In 3rd gear, the front drum needs to turn again so the kickdown band has to release and the front clutch has to apply at exactly the same time. The timing is critical.

If the band releases before the clutch applies, you will get an RPM flare up and/or a slipping sensation. If the clutch applies before the band releases, the trans will momentarily bind up and it will feel like you hit the brakes. This will burn up the band and front clutch in no time.

The timing is controlled by the kickdown linkage, which you already adjusted (wide open, all the way back is fine,) the kickdown band adjustment on the side of the trans, the throttle valve and line pressure on valve body. If all of these are adjusted properly and you still have problems, the there's an internal transmission issue.

Try the kickdown adjustment next. Loosen the outer nut, turn the adjusting screw (the inner part) 'til it's nice and snug, then back it out exactly 2 full turns and lock it down.
0900c1528007160e.gif

I doubt the throttle valve adjustment and line pressure have changed unless someone has messed with them. Has this trans been apart? If this is the original trans, it probably has the narrow front drum bushing which is known to cause the front drum to sag and rub on the reaction shaft support. I don't remember what year they went to the wider bushing ('70/'71?)

Keep in mind, the 2-3 shift will never feel the same as the 1-2 on a stock trans, but there should not be any flare up or binding either.

-
Back