727 beginner question/verification

-

StPaulSwinger

Reaction score
Hi all,

as part of my Dart purchase I got a spare tranny thrown in, a 727 from a Fury (as per previous owner). I was planning an engine swap and am thinking of going to a 5.7 and I know some 727's bolt up but this appears to be the "big block" variation that I'm not sure bolts up the 5.7.

I'm looking at pictures to decipher between the two and wanted to confirm that I'm correct this is the big block 727 if anyone can tell from the picture. If so I'll have to research if there's anyway to use it as is or if I should swap the guts to a small block 727 or sell it etc.

Thanks!

727 pic.jpg

Thanks everybody! Thought so but wanted to double check so appreciate the feedback. Now it's a question of what to do with it.

Offer it as a straight up trade on a small block trans. Also could just sell that big block trans outright and buy a small block version.
Since it's not a numbers matching deal, you can even get a small block 727 from a non-four wheel drive truck all way into the early 90s model years. The tail housing was shaped a little different but still uses the same mount in the rear and has the same length. Just stay away from the really short version in campers and some vans and heavy duty trucks. They are great for parts donors, but the stubby tailshaft setup isn't way to go go in the rear wheel drive cars.

Thanks very much. As mentioned this was a throw in when I bought my Dart (along with a random carb that I have to identify and a number of other things) so I'd love to either use it or get some value out of it. I also have the original tranny/engine in the Dart and am researching if the tranny there makes any sense to use or beef up and then use.

Thanks everybody! Thought so but wanted to double check so appreciate the feedback. Now it's a question of what to do with it.

If that's a heavy duty version, it might have some good parts if it can be had cheap enough. The internals will fit a SB case, and someone might even want the case

What is the part number on the drivers side pan rail right above the pan? Starts with PK usually...

What is the engine and transmission setup currently in the car? Only a small block trans will bolt up easily to the Gen 3 Hemi.

What is the part number on the drivers side pan rail right above the pan? Starts with PK usually...
I see a pair of markings that look like "BD" and "CD" next to 2466901 and then a 2 just below it, and below that 65 and a series of dots that look like casting time indicators maybe? Pardon my ignorance if that's not right but I know they had some similar marking for engine blocks etc.

-
Back