727 Build Suggestions

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
I am preparing for a big block swap.
383 is basic, with cam, intake, headers, etc.

I am going to have a hard shifting 727 built. What are some in the trenches stuff that needs to be done? If memory serves, there was something about a bolt in sprag? I am going for either a TCI or B&M full kit, depending on research. Converter will probably be a B&M or Boss Hog, depending on work inventory that matches the cam.

What do I need to have the trans guy do for me?

If you value your feet and legs you want a billet front drum and a bolt in sprag (preferably the 16 roller)
Other than that possibly a Kevlar solid front band, billet rear servo, bronze pump bushing and a front seal retainer.
Good quality rebuild parts made for performance Like Alto or kolene clutch discs.
Possibly the 6 gear planetary gear assembly as well.

If you want real firm shifts you want the higher performance options of the shift kit done and possibly even a new governor calibrated for higher RPM shifts, and a blocked or well sprung accumulator which should also be billet and have D rings on it.

Tracy may have more to add, as he builds 727's.

Don't spend the cash on a BM or TCI kit. Buy this kit from Northern Auto

Transtar Super Deluxe Transmission Kit For Chrysler TF8 (A727) 62-Up from Northern Auto Parts

Check with these people for any of the hop up parts.
A727 Transmission Parts Dodge Transmission Parts RWD
WIT
Chrysler Torqueflite TF8 A727 A-727 Automatic Transmission Parts: Automatic Transmission Rebuild Parts From Oregon Performance 700R4 4L60E E4OD 4R100 4R70W 4R75E

Build it yourself. It's the EASIEST transmission to build out there. If you built engines, you can do a transmission. There are videos on youtube and others available to view. 70AARCuda and I both have the rebuild video on CD.

-
Back