727 C body-A body?

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
Did Mopar build 727's in different configurations? I know there was a small block and big block 727, but if I pulled a 727 out of a C Body is there any question as to if it will fit under my 68 Dart? swapping /6-904 with a 383 and the 727. motor and trans are a pair. Not concerned about motor, and know driveshaft needs shortened, but is this tranny gonna be ok under there. Thanks.

Did Mopar build 727's in different configurations? I know there was a small block and big block 727, but if I pulled a 727 out of a C Body is there any question as to if it will fit under my 68 Dart? swapping /6-904 with a 383 and the 727. motor and trans are a pair. Not concerned about motor, and know driveshaft needs shortened, but is this tranny gonna be ok under there. Thanks.

should bolt right up. i think they may have built a short tail shaft version but im not sure on that. i have a 727 out of a Chrysler new yorker.

727 from a 78 New Yorker bolted in a 68 barracuda where a 904 was.

All car and light truck torqueflites are long tailshaft and the same physical dimensions. Short shaft versions were only used in HD vehicles.

There is only 1 thing I can think of that may be a issue with using the C-body trans. and that is some of the extension housings didn't have the cast on ears that the floor shift lower bracket bolts on to. If you have a column shift or aftermarket shifter you don't need them, just when your car is a factory floor shift.

My Dart's a console shift. Where are these ears located on the tranny so I can go check?

On a side note. It being from a big car. Good chance it has a 4 gear planet inside. Which would be a good thing

My Dart's a console shift. Where are these ears located on the tranny so I can go check?

I found a couple pictures on the web taken at different angles and modified them with a red arrow pointing to the ears yours needs to have.

Attachments

• 727 Extension housing pic 2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 727 Extension housing.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 158
Only thing I know of to watch for is "some" motorhomes 'n heavy trucks use various short shaft 727s, some have a great big emergency drum, and some have some sort of torque multiplier, and of course the ones built to bolt up to a transfer case.

The one in my Dart is out of about a 77 Dodge B200 van

and of course Fishy already mentioned the shifter mount ears.

And last, a few are "lockup" which can be easily id'd by looking at the valve body with the pan off, or if the converter out, the splines on the front shaft will have a smooth area similar to a stick shift pilot shaft.

-
Back