727 clutch pack air pressure test. Fail ?

-

mitch340Duster

Reaction score
When testing the rear clutches I get a nice "thud" like the Munroe manual says I should. There does seem to be some air escaping as well however.
The front clutch pack is another story, with a waaaaaay wimpier feel to it. and a lot more air blowing-by.
This is my 2nd 727 rebuild. The last one was a long time ago but I don't remember having to question this. Youze guys think my suspicions are correct that something is amiss?
Also...why? I'm outta time to take it apart today and look at the seals, but i feel that the air is coming from the center which maybe means the seal rings (new) are not sealing. I don't like the looks of the inner bore of the front clutch retainer/drum either. Seems pretty worn but I'm wondering if I'm like the only guy in the nation who's ever had to replace that part or is it common for 'em to wear?
BTW There is no history available about what the tranny was doing before i took this car apart. It's a full restore. I hope this isn't the dumbest post of the day but I know it's prolly in the top 10, but thanks for listening.

If the worn area your referring to is where the reaction shaft sealing rings ride that's probably the issue. I have seen a few worn but it's pretty rare. Usually on very high mileage transmissions or transmissions that had a ton of end play that let things walk back and forth. If your using the new style teflon sealing rings I've noticed they tend to take a little more air pressure to seal up properly. What test psi are you using now? I generally use 30 psi but I've had to up it to 40 psi to get teflon rings to seal.

I gotta run and it'll be next week before i can get back into this but you gave me an idea to try with the sealing rings. I'll letcha know

Put some transmission fluid in the feed hole then recheck,also spin the input shaft a few times while air checking.
If you have a worn direct drum bushing will also cause a air check issue.

if there is no assembly lube or tranny fluid..the air will blow by the lip seals and sound like it is not working..

-
Back