727 converter interchange

-

caferacerx

BAND MEMBER
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what year torque converters will work with a 1962 push button 727 with a 383?

did they change the crank register on the early to late big blocks like like they did on the small blocks?

looking for a quality stock replacement converter (on a budget)
or would it be better (cheaper) to have the original rebuilt

also any recommendations for an early 727 rebuild kit
(car sat for 30 years drove 20 miles and trans stopped working,dropped the pan, looks like clutch plates came apart and clogged up the screen)

any info would be appreciated, thanks

I think only SB's had the small register but I'm not not positive. If you have it out you can measure it. The small register is 1.55" and the large register is 1.81". The early (62-66) 727's have a 19 spline input shaft so it has to be a 62-66 converter. Here's a link to a place I get a lot of my parts from. They show a converter for an unbelievably low price

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...Code=2&Product_Code=090&Category_Code=A727tcE

Here's a rebuild kit but it's just the very basics. Not nearly a kit IMO.. A lot of kits are called rebuild kits but they are only basic kits. IMO, if they don't have clutch plates, steel plates, thrust washers, both bands, all seals, a sprague roller and spring kit, and a filter kit they aren't complete.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...e=2&Product_Code=22006&Category_Code=A727kits

I've dealt with them several times and they not only have great prices but are great to deal with. Always fast accurate service. If you have a tech question call and ask for Mike. He knows Mopars pretty good.

I've never seen a 727 with a small button converter regardless of engine size. The only ones I've seen are the '60-67 904's behind a 6 or 273.

I've never seen a 727 with a small button converter regardless of engine size. The only ones I've seen are the '60-67 904's behind a 6 or 273.

I wasn't saying that they changed the register size on B-motors just using it as an example, just trying to figure out what will fit, not my car but here are some pics, I know not an A-body but still cool

Attachments

• 300 front.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 300 side.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 120
Any 727 converter up to when they changed them in '68 should work. They did make different stall speeds so you'll want to match one to your needs.

-
Back