727 converter question

-

Muscley MOPAR

Reaction score
anyone no if theres any difference in a big block 727 converter compared to a small block 727 converter

There are several versions of 727 converters, not just SB and BB. There's one for 318 and early 340 engines that has no external balance weight on. It is the same style used on 383 and early 440 big blocks. Then there is a 727 converters for externally balanced engines (later 340's and LA style 360 small blocks, the 400 BB, and late 440 BB) and none of them will interchange without problems. Then you have the early 18 spline converter (67 or older) and 68 or later 24 spline. Another consideration is each converter is made to stall a certain amount for it's intended engine so if you put a 440 converter behind a 318 it'll be a very low stall. That's good for gas mileage but bad for performance. If you go the other way around the effect is opposite.

k cause i was looking at buyin a tci converter that was behind a big block 727(440) nd wanna put it in my small block 727(360) but not sure if itll work

I believe 360's need to be balanced out as opposed to 318's. You are doing the right thing by researching it rather than just throwing it in. You can balance the flex plate or the Converter from what I've been told by my local transmission shop.

If you want the converter and it is a good deal you can buy the B&M offset flexplate for a 360 to be used with a nuetral balanced converter.

..............Very well put fishy68.................kim............
Yup, except for the brain fart about the 18 spine being in the "'67 or newer" transmissions. I knew you meant '67 or older but others might not. Don't worry, I get many more brain (and other type) farts as I get older too! :) Oh, and there are two different bolt patterns for the converter bolts on the factory stuff too so you may have to swap flex plates to go from the large diameter converter to the small and vice versa.

Yup, except for the brain fart about the 18 spine being in the "'67 or newer" transmissions. I knew you meant '67 or older but others might not. Don't worry, I get many more brain (and other type) farts as I get older too! :) Oh, and there are two different bolt patterns for the converter bolts on the factory stuff too so you may have to swap flex plates to go from the large diameter converter to the small and vice versa.

Yup. OFM (old farts memory) syndrome seems to be working overtime on me lately. Good thing you keep me straight, LOL

Their are 2 different bolt patterns for 727 converters? I thought there was only the small pattern for 904's and the larger pattern for 727's? I've only seen the big pattern on 727's (factory converters).

On the factory 727 converters, it depended on the stall speed. The low stall stuff (big diameter converters) have the big pattern. The small diameter high stalls used the small pattern, like the 904's. I've seen aftermarket ones both ways.

Not all small diameter factory converters are created equal. I had one that would go to around 2400 on an over cammed 318, and I have another that won't go over 1900 on a stock 440.

-
Back