727 dimension?

-

ne57

Reaction score
If someone has a 727 lying around and is willing to measure it would help me figure out how I'm going to stuff this 392 into my 66 Dart.

The dimension I'm looking for is from centerline of tailhousing mount bolt to engine mounting surface. From there I'll calculate where the engine will sit in relation to the trans mount and scratch my head vigorously if I need to change things, like a fabbed tranny mount?

Also if someone can tell me the difference in case sizes between 904 and 727 that would be great too. Its my understanding that 904's were factory installed and they are smaller than the 727 I'm planning on using(but haven't gotten yet). I *think* I read a 727 will fit the tunnel with minor sheetmetal mods but, honestly, I've been consuming so much a-body info I can't trust my memory.

Thanks much.

the 904 abd 727 are the same from the bellhousing surface to the tranny mount. you will use the cross member that's in you car. bolt the 2 together and bolt in the tranny to the cross member and mount the motor where ever it sits best. the firewall to floor seam will have to be hammered flat to get the motor up some.

727 is fatter since it internal parts are larger...the trans tunnel will need to be "reworked" for a 727 to fit...

Oops. looks like I didn't give enough information, sorry. The car currently has a /6 and 3spd manual. I'll be converting to an early 392 and 727 torqueflite, so its more complicated than a 318 swap with the motor probably set back some. What I'm trying to get a handle on is what will be the total length of my combo(from engine mount to tranny mount) and if I use the trans mount to fix the location how far forward will the front of the engine be. If this runs into the radiator i will need to figure how far back the assembly will need to go which will affect how much tunnel/firewall work and mount work I'll need to do. Also a consideration is I would really like to use my block hugger headers(although I have stock manifolds too, just in case) and it looks like moving the motor back will help in clearing the header/steering box fitment.

The reason I asked about the 904/727 relative size was to get an idea of how much interference there will be with a 727, assuming the stock location. But as the assembly moves back no doubt interference will get worse.

So I don't have 904 to compare with, if I had that dimension I asked about I could do my calculations from there. I have been accused of overthinking stuff, but I figure its better than nasty surprises after the point of no return.

Thanks again.

Ah! Cool! I went to TCI tech page and it states 23 3/4" for the smallblock 727, engine to trans mount bolt, which is just the info I needed. It also states that the bellhousing diameter is a mere 1/8" larger, smallblock 727 compared to 904. So if the tunnel was designed to accept a 904, going to the 727 should not be a big deal, depending on whatever engine setback i might need to clear stuff up front.

So now I'll compare those stats with what I see in the engine bay and at least get a general idea of what needs to be done.

Thanks millions!

-
Back