727 doesn't want to move

-

Joep

Reaction score
Still having issues with my tranny. It's a 727 with a reverse manual valve body. It won't move in any gear it will just rev. I've tried changing the filter and that didn't work. Before it would move but it seemed like it was slipping real bad so I changed the fluid and filter and now it won't move. This is what I see when I check the fluid. As you can see the fluid gets washed away on the front side but on the back it is full of bubbles. It is right at the ok mark on the stick when hot so there's enough fluid in there so I want to see what you guys think I'm stumped!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 244
How many quarts of fluid did you put back in it after the filter change?
You do know you have to check the fluid in neutral....

I bet it is still low on fluid,when you put the dipstick in it scraps some of the fluid from the tube on to the stick and other side gets nothing....full is the same on both sides and in neutral running.

It's possible the foam is tricking you about it being full because that baby is sucking air from somewhere.
If it were me I'd drop another quart in there and see what it does.
You might find that it is still a couple of quarts low.

I checked it in neutral yes. After I dropped the pan I put about 3 and a half quarts in. I'll put a little bit more in and see where it goes from there. I just don't want to over fill it...

I put another quart in and it was drivable so I took it for a little drive. It surged driving down the road and it was overheating so I shut it off. It Also was smoking pretty good
I checked the dipstick in the trans and it was bone dry like everything leaked out or something

I don't know the fluid capacity of a 727 according to the book, but I know when I rebuilt my 727 I put in a little under 9 quarts which includes what I added to the dry converter before assembly.

You said you dropped the pan and then put in 3 1/2 quarts. I think it's just low on fluid, that would explain why it's "surging" and getting hot too.

I looked it up. The 1968 Service Manual says 18 1/2 pints, that's more than 9 quarts.

Attachments

• Transmission Fluid.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 190
I put another quart in and it was drivable so I took it for a little drive. It surged driving down the road and it was overheating so I shut it off. It Also was smoking pretty good
I checked the dipstick in the trans and it was bone dry like everything leaked out or something

The extra quart was probably just enough to stop the foaming and start reading a more true level (still real low it sounds like)
Drop another quart in it and see if it starts showing a true reading.
That next quart will probably stop the surging also.

Ok I'll put another quart in it. The dipstick was bone dry when I checked after the drive so it must have spit some fluid out which might have been the smoke?

With a 10" converter should it be able to idle around or should it need a lot f gas to get it moving? I really had to open up the throttle just to get it moving, in not sure if that's normal or what

might have been yes, fingers crossed you get her going soon.

seems like you fix something and something else comes around and hits us with something else.

be patient.

Haha yeah I know it. I guess that's all part of the fun though right? Everything that goes wrong that how ya learn from it. Hopefully I can get the trans back up to par and then really see if the engine will cool

With a 10 inch converter you should still be able to idle around right?

Just learn how to properly fill the transmission first.
With a dry dipstick add a quart until it start to show (bubbleless).
Then add half a quart at a time while wiping the dipstick and checking the level in between.
All done with engine idling and trans in neutral of course.

It turns out it was just low on fluid. I drove it for a little bit tonight and it seemed to be running ok. Although overnight I noticed it was leaking pretty good I couldn't quite tell if it was the pan or not but after a drive I looked under and saw tranny fluid dumping out of what looks like the bell housing. What does this mean??

-
Back