727 - Driveshaft Jammed All The Way In

-
Just a little add on to the discussion, if somebody reading this is experiencing similar issue, it would be very easy to loosen the eight nuts that hold front spring hangers to body and then push entire axle/spring assembly back enough to remove shaft. Just don't stretch flexible brake hose too far or just remove end from axle housing to give hose a little extra play. Much easier I would think than removing U bolts/shocks and prying out and in housing.

Photos are attached - we have some other issues though (and why wouldn't there be lol)

Lots of rust on slip joint and if you look closely enough, we have some strawberry milkshake in the trans....interestingly enough what's in the pan looks OK. But it's definitely seen some water at some point.

Also looks like that drive shaft has kissed the tunnel at one point as well

View attachment 1716055690

View attachment 1716055691

View attachment 1716055692

View attachment 1716055693

View attachment 1716055694

View attachment 1716055695
Just my 2-cents. It looks like the front U-Joint is not installed correctly. Could be the reason for the noise you are hearing. I'm not a transmission expert, but I would think if the slip joint were bottomed out, that the ends would be shinning and not dull. Drive shafts do vary depending on the application. It appears the tranny was just installed, looking at the new and shinning hardware. If it was me, I would check the fluid and if clean and without any milk, I would just change the rear seal and boot. As other stated, then check for driveshaft length. You can always go further if needed.

Yokes

IMG_20230305_083601_074.jpg

IMG_20230305_083547_652.jpg

There are at least 3 different yoke lengths avail.
That looks awfully long, but hard to guess .
Good info - I guess the question is now that the old rear is out and after the new one is in - will the longer yoke be an issue? I can always measure to account for the longer yoke and have the driveshaft shortened accordingly. I will have to poke around and see.

Good info - I guess the question is now that the old rear is out and after the new one is in - will the longer yoke be an issue? I can always measure to account for the longer yoke and have the driveshaft shortened accordingly. I will have to poke around and see.
I would think the longer length would be from a truck (4X4) or van, due to the action at the rear end while carrying cargo or 4-wheeling. That way the slip yoke could compromise the inner and outer movement. Fitting into the transmission should all be the same. I would think the longer would be best for a HI-PRO car for the same reason. A frontal separation of the driveshaft is not good. All of mine are long.

There are at least 3 different yoke lengths avail.
That looks awfully long, but hard to guess .
I have been collecting 904 slip yokes, I have a long one and the rest are shorter. The long one slips into the transmission and goes all the way in with no interference. I read a TSB??? that the yokes all had longer ends till it was discovered it caused a driveline vibration so they all got shortened. The long end does not have any splines in it and it is a smaller OD than the seal area. If the long one was cut off at the step in the OD it would be exactly the same length as the short one

Left, 904 of unknown origin (I suspect aftermarket)
Long, bought as 904 yoke
rusted one, 904
On the right OEM from the car when new

all measure the same OD on the seal area

all have the same splines

all have the same U-Joint dimensions

I just show this to say that the yokes might be able to be significantly longer without any interior transmission issues.

(not commenting on the driveshaft being too long)

1678067691101.png

O

I have been collecting 904 slip yokes, I have a long one and the rest are shorter. The long one slips into the transmission and goes all the way in with no interference. I read a TSB??? that the yokes all had longer ends till it was discovered it caused a driveline vibration so they all got shortened. The long end does not have any splines in it and it is a smaller OD than the seal area. If the long one was cut off at the step in the OD it would be exactly the same length as the short one

Left, 904 of unknown origin (I suspect aftermarket)
Long, bought as 904 yoke
rusted one, 904
On the right OEM from the car when new

all measure the same OD on the seal area

all have the same splines

all have the same U-Joint dimensions

I just show this to say that the yokes might be able to be significantly longer without any interior transmission issues.

(not commenting on the driveshaft being too long)

View attachment 1716059505
O
How long is that longest one? Mine is about 6 1/4 inches.

How long is that longest one? Mine is about 6 1/4 inches.
IIRC another 3.5 inches give or take I'll look far a photo.

This is the short ones. I don't have a measurement of the long one. Remember these are for 904 NOT 727

Screenshot_20230306-141302.png

Last edited:
Just closing the loop here. I have a new driveshaft coming from Brewer’s and and am addressing the trans now. Thanks for all the help!

-
Back