727 Expert Needed

-

Mike67

Reaction score
So been fighting an issue with my big block 727, it's a 72 model based on the number and research I've done.
The problem is I've bought 2 slip yoke and neither for correctly. Splines will line up and start with a lot of shaking and pushing. I've measured using veneer calipers and is about .0050 clearance. I've tested the both holes in a 833 and it slides on perfectly. It's not the bushing, I can't even get it far enough on to even start engaging the bushing...
At a total loss...
Thanks

U r likely getting an over drive slip yoke. Splines are cut on a different angle. Kim

Thanks Kim
So would a od yoke fit on a 833? The first yoke I bought online said it was specifically for 727, IIRC, 66-75, the second came with my drive shaft I had built and told them it was a 72 model.
What are the chances???

Lots of ppl believe they interchange but they do not. I had that problem b4 and it turned out to be the wrong yoke. Maybe ur 833 splines are worn mods or ur 727 splines are buggered up some. Kim

Lots of ppl believe they interchange but they do not. I had that problem b4 and it turned out to be the wrong yoke. Maybe ur 833 splines are worn mods or ur 727 splines are buggered up some. Kim
Ya They (727) are clean and square as are the 833's....
This is what is so confusing...

Last edited:
you should count the splines they make two different ones 29 and thirty splines

Spoke to Rick Allison @ A&A and hes telling me that all BB 727 shafts ( splines) from 65-94 are the same for every 727. He is convinced there is some damage to the end of the shaft, mushroomed.
If the splines were different the yoke wouldnt go on at all. I've seen the 29/ 30 reference before and I think its minor splines ( root) and major ( male).

So, I have a truck 833 OD and NO yoke I have tried will slip onto it. It will go on a little, but not all the way. I bet that's what the trouble is. I also bet trying to find a slip yoke for an 833 OD will be damn near impossible.

-
Back