727 in a 65 valiant

-

MoparMan65

Reaction score
So I've a 1965 valiant and haven't seen to many with the 727 in them. My question is will it fit or would i rather be better to find a 904. It's going to be street strip car with a 408 on nitrous. And will have headers and I know space is limited. It also needs floor boards so their is a option to give it a little more room with opening up the tunnel if needed. So what are my best options here will it fit a and be fine?? Or look for a 904 to replace ??

A 727 can be made to fit the standard tunnel by beating the pinch-weld flat. Of course, it would have to be a small-block one, and easiest if a cable-shift type (I have one in the shed). But, it is heavier and robs power more than a 904, plus people say a 904 can be beefed up to support almost any torque and power of a small-block.

But, since opening the tunnel is an option, consider a later tranny like those for Magnum V-8's (until ~2001). That gives overdrive (4 spd) and there are after-market parts. If your 408 engine will use a later (~1968+) crankshaft, its hole will fit the later tranny torque converter snout. If an early crank, you need a custom torque converter or swap out the front parts of the tranny.

There are also driveshaft issues, but I expect you will need to upgrade the rear-end too, so likely a custom driveshaft anyway. Speedometer connection also varied over the years.

Yup,727 fits with the pinch weld flattened and a few well placed blows from a sledge hammer. But as was metioned the 904 fits without modification and is more than capable of doing the job at hand if built correctly. You also won't have the power drain or sprag issues with the 904.

-
Back