727 in early a

-

Mikes270dart

Reaction score
I am putting a 360 with a 727 auto, I know the motor will fit, but will the 727 go in without issues.

I swapped my 65 Dart 904 out and put in a 68 904 to get rid of two cable system. I switched over to a ProMatic shifter & Bouchillon kickdown cable. I had to take a hammer and bump the tunnel up to have room for brackets to hold shifter cables, it's really tight in there. I'm guessing the 727 will be bigger yet, good luck!

If you are not married,financially, to that 727; then .....have you given any thought to the 904?
I was in TO twice,back in the 80s.It was a really Big deal for me. But I won't likely ever get back there.

We squeezed a 727 behind the stroked 360 that went into Jake's 65 B'cuda this past summer because I grew up on bigger is better and we didn't have a 904 to go behind it.... I had read that you only need to beat the firewall/floor seam flat and make a few dents to clear the linkage/lines... We ended up splitting his trans tunnel from that seam all the way back to about an inch from where the factory console bracket is. Basically mini-tubbed the tunnel. It also made for a VERY tight right side exhaust pipe between the trans pan and the torsion bar.

Would I do it to another early A? No. I'd sell the 727 and build a 904.

Someone put a 727 in my 65 Val before I got it. It is coming out for a 904 they cut the crossmember and lowered the rear of the trans. All angles are screwed up, starter too close to the center link, they heated and bent the pitman arm. Turning radius is now about like a Peterbuilt. They are sucking 15 more HP out of the 360 they don't need to with the 727, and the 904 can be built for 500 -600 HP.

we did one that fit-it barely touched the pinchweld. most you have to at least cut the PW (best to then reweld that seam to restore the strength/integrity). some you as said have to raise the tunnell. early A's have tolerances all over the map (but are my favs). Mockup what you have & go from there and actually there is no need for a 727 as opposed to a 904. build the 904 as stout as needed. I'm even doing a 451/904 with the jw ultrabell

As Rapid Robert mentioned, your dimensions may vary! Having said that, I ran a 340 with 727 in my '65 Barracuda for almost 40 years, and all I did was flatten the pinch weld with a large hammer. However, if I had it to do over again, I probably would have stuck with the 904 that I gave away. None of that matters now, since the entire floor has been cut out and frame rails added to get ready for an aluminum 433 3rd gen hemi and Tremec 6-speed converted to a sequential box using a PPG gearset.

I have a 64 dart 440 727 dana 60 I used a JVX shifter the cable comes in from the back of the trans all brackets on rear of trans no probluems

-
Back