727 into early A body shifter probs

-

vwmoparguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I put a built up 727 into my 65 Dart Gt. It has the factory floor shifter. I really would like to keep the stock shifter if possible.
I bought a 5 foot cable and bracket / shift lever kit from B&M.

The problem is the trans won't get all of the gears using the shifter. If I pull the shifter down into low, it hasn't even engage "drive" yet. Park on the shifter is park on the trans, but everything after that is wrong. I tried the original lever too (much longer than the B&M).

I truly believe that I need to either shorten the lever or drill a hole for the cable closer to the pivot point.

I see Imperials kit and it has a much shorter arm. I would gladly buy it but my biggest problem is time. I have a show Saturday morning.

Does anyone know what the distance should be or does anyone have an Imperial arm they can measure for me?

Which B&M shifter? I had that issue in my Valiant when I installed a B&M Pro Bandit. The guy gave me the wrong gate in the shifter (I bought it new, un-installed off ebay).
I had a similar issue when I put my wife's 727 in her Dart back on the column, with all the factory stuff. I had to drill a hole a little closer to trans on the arm.Some of the factory arms are hardened, so it may be a challenge to drill it.There are I think about 3 different factory arms. I may be wrong, but there is more then one.
Everything worked fine in her car, but every now and again it wouldn't start, because it was just shy of hitting the neutral safety switch in park.

I'm trying to use the factory floor shifter. I bought the B&M cable, pan rail bracket and shift lever.

I did this before, so I know it works. Not sure of the new hole distance. I drilled several in the arm so I didn't have to keep taking the shift arm back off. It helps to have one person up top to move the shifter while you move the shift arm .

-
Back