727 kapoot? :( :( :(

-

Sinister.

Reaction score
I wake up this morning drive to school. No problems.
Bell rings at school I go start car and put it in gear. Nothing happens.
I pulled the lines going to the radiator and went through the gears and nothing more than a drip came out.

Pulled her home, jacked her up and pulled the pan.
Fluid was disgusting and there is metal in the pan. Filter is soiled.

Is it normal for transmissions to just all of a sudden go out?
In the past I've had slippage or other signs before my trannys go...

What is your diagnoses?
I believe it to be the front pump.

..........Its not the pump, more than likely blew the seal on the foreward clutch pack, or theres too much clearance from being worn out........kim.....

If no oil flowed when you ran it through the gears with a trans line unhooked something happened that caused it to not pump oil. I'd suspect front pump lugs sheared also but another possibility is a stuck main pressure relief valve or broken control spring on that valve. But since you said there was gunk/metal in the pan it sounds like it needs a complete rebuild.

I remember your other thread about the poor gas mileage and you never know what there might have been some overlap between gears hurting the gas mileage too. Since it's a 318 and you want better gas mileage now's the time to swap over to a 904. As long as it's not over 400 hp you'll be fine with a 904 and the car will be a little faster and should get better fuel mileage. It's a real easy swap too.

I hadn't even thought about that.
All I have are 727s and that's what rebuild kit I ordered yesterday. Oh well..

Would it be possible for the Detent lever to have fallen off of the shuttle valve? If so, how would that happen?

That was the only thing that seemed off in the transmission but I figured I had just knocked it off at some point.

The clutches had a bit of wear on them and one seal had a little crack in it but nothing major....

I assume you mean the throttle pressure (kickdown) lever (detent lever is a GM term and they work differently) and the throttle pressure lever operates the throttle pressure valve, not the shuttle valve but I guess it's possible it fell off. If the lever wasn't on there there's also a c-clip that holds it in place. It could have came off. If it did you'd most likely have a bad leak also. I can't see that stopping the transmission from moving at all unless the internal stop came out and let the whole valve assy. come apart or all the fluid leaked out

The cracked seal is possibly the problem. I air pressure test questionable clutch packs on dis-assembly to make sure I find the problem. 30 lbs. of air is good for tests.

Also make sure and have the torque converter checked as I have seen them break internally causing no drive in any gear. Even if it's good have it professionally flushed before you use it.

Sorry for bad terms...

It wasn't the kickdown, it was the shift lever. The piston was all the way in so the transmission would be in park (pump doesn't run in park, correct?) and the lever was off of the piston therefore I couldn't shift out of park.

Anyway, we have everything rebuilt except for the valve body. It has been gone through and cleaned, just need to put it back together, do a little cleaning on the case and put it all back together

Sorry for bad terms...

It wasn't the kickdown, it was the shift lever. The piston was all the way in so the transmission would be in park (pump doesn't run in park, correct?) and the lever was off of the piston therefore I couldn't shift out of park.

Anyway, we have everything rebuilt except for the valve body. It has been gone through and cleaned, just need to put it back together, do a little cleaning on the case and put it all back together

Ok. That makes a big difference. Your right the pump doesn't run in park so that's why you didn't have pressure at the lines and it wouldn't move. Sounds like your about to wrap it up. Good deal.

Got her hanging last night... have linkage and starter left.

Can't wait to get her on the road, I sure miss her! xD

Vroom! Finally got to drive my baby again!

How many miles recommended before i get on it? xD

-
Back