727 motorhome tranny question

-

GDL

Reaction score
Ok, soo have the option of getting a 727 from a motorhome. If its going into a '72 dart do I need a long or short tail shaft and what length would that be? Please let me know. Car currently has a 318 / 727 combo in it.

You need a long tail shaft. I don't remember the length but cars and light trucks use the longest tail shafts. The motorhome might have a car/light truck trans. or it might have a short shaft with a bolt on yoke. Look at it and if it has a yoke bolted onto the back of it instead of a slip yoke the only way to make it work is to completely disassemble the trans. and replace the output shaft (goes in from the front) and tail shaft housing.

the dart wants a long tail shaft...which is pretty much standard passenger car 727..

you are going to have to seen what is in the motorhome

Ok so long shaft is needed, got it.

Dare I ask if its crazy to yank my wife's current A727 apart and use the tail shaft off that? Or is that a bad idea? I'm a Pontiac guy and everything interchanges easy as pie for the most part.

We do have a driveline shop in the area. FYI.

Also forgot to mention since my thread got moved. It's a b727 tranny since I'm getting a 440.

There was a slight spline angle change on the front end of the output shafts in 76 so if you plan on using an output shaft from one in the other make sure their compatible. In other words if both trans. you have are of the 66-75 vintage or both are of the 76-93 vintage your ok. Just don't try to use an early output shaft in a late trans. or vice versa. Their easy to identify by an extra groove in the 76-93 shaft right before the turned down section in front of the output splines. Here's a picture showing what they look like. You'll notice I didn't include the early 62-65 transmissions because I figure it's unlikely yours are of that vintage.

Attachments

• 727 OUtput shafts.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 455
-
Back