727 mystery part

-

rebeldart

Reaction score
Was replacing the gasket - found this mangled ball bearing (?). Only drove the car once a short distance before resto started, didn't notice an issue, shifter a little sloppy, that's about it. Appears trans was rebuilt not long ago as fresh RTV all around ..........

Attachments

• DSC_0001 (Small).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC_0002 (Small).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 269
That was a thought but didn't know if it's too small for being the detent ball - was trying to avoid pulling the valve body if not necessary. If it were missing , wouldn't I be able to tell when shifting between positions ? I'm thinking it may relate to past repairs , dunno .............

Looks like a separator plate ball to me, and when they get beat up they can go through the hole they were intended to seal. (have not seen one that bad though)

The detent ball for the shift linkage is more like 5/16 inch.

There are balls that seal factory drilled places in the pump too.

Looks kinda small for the detent ball but if it is you could easily see if it's missing as soon as you drop the pan. The shifter would be really sloppy with the detent ball missing

So it's not the detent ball , all other balls look present and accounted for so , guess it was from "back in the day" .............

So it's not the detent ball , all other balls look present and accounted for so , guess it was from "back in the day" .............

If their all there in the valve body the only other place I can think of would be the output shaft support bearing, but I'm not sure how it could have made it's way to the pan.

If their all there in the valve body the only other place I can think of would be the output shaft support bearing, but I'm not sure how it could have made it's way to the pan.

I thought about that too, and that's also why I didn't mention it.:D

Isn't there a check ball in the front or rear clutch drum?

It seems like one of them had a small ball in the piston, but I can't remember specifically.
It was tiny though.

The pump bodies had balls staked into it to seal up factory drilled oil ports also, but again it's been so long ago I don't remember specifics.

Seems like ford, chrysler, and gm are all starting to run together in my mind anymore. :)

-
Back