727 pistol grip for 67 dart gt

-

67dartgtgo

Reaction score
OK guys, I've heard about it but really would like some details on what the best conversion for my 67 Dart GT, automatic console shifter to pistol grip is best. Is it the Gunslinger or Duncan Motorsports? I like the idea of the trigger on the gunslinger but have yet to see any real pictures of this conversion to the stock shifter. I've searched lots but haven't talked to anyone yet just because I'd like to see some pics after the installation.
Any help would be awesome.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=27497&d=1357265401

Heres a reference pic

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 911
I know right....been wanting to pull the trigger on it...haha..but just want some assurance it will be what's best.

I've tried the Duncan Motorsport piece and along with several others on this site haven't really had very good luck with it. I haven't heard of the Gunslinger kit. Can you post something on it?

I can't say much, but I did see a gunslinger piece on a 73 challenger in a car show last week and it looked like very nice quality and the trigger didn't take much away from the styling.

Thanks Matt....been there too but very vague on our year stock type shifters. I'm hoping someone's done this to one of our type shifters and might have some insight.

I've tried the Duncan Motorsport piece and along with several others on this site haven't really had very good luck with it. I haven't heard of the Gunslinger kit. Can you post something on it?

Jeff, that's exactly what I hoping for...pros and cons type info.
Matt posted the gunslinger link..
http://www.Gunslinger727.com/
It's very cool and i guess I should probably just call them but I'm reluctant to try unless someone's already done it.

I have no 1st hand knowledge but will be going with the gunslinger 4spd console shifter some day....

Well, I sent an email to the gunslinger folks on tuesday but haven't heard anything back yet.(Saturday) Scratching my head on that.
Does anyone have any insite on this?

I briefly used the Shift-R-gate from Duncan. Hated every second of it. It does not mimic the slapstick like they claim. You have to manipulate the detent button up and down to get to first. Second functions right- slap it into gear- but third requires you to HOLD the button in and bump it into third. At that point once the button is released it is able to slip into neutral without needing to depress the button. It makes it very easy to hit third and accidentally continue into neutral. And of course, continuing up to park requires manipulating the button up and down to get past the detents.

Some people like the shift-R-gate, I dont.

It is for sale. Cheap...

I briefly used the Shift-R-gate from Duncan. Hated every second of it. It does not mimic the slapstick like they claim. You have to manipulate the detent button up and down to get to first. Second functions right- slap it into gear- but third requires you to HOLD the button in and bump it into third. At that point once the button is released it is able to slip into neutral without needing to depress the button. It makes it very easy to hit third and accidentally continue into neutral. And of course, continuing up to park requires manipulating the button up and down to get past the detents.

Some people like the shift-R-gate, I dont.

It is for sale. Cheap...
Great info on this cu440....I don't think most of us would want to slide from 3rd into neutral on a good foot stomp.
You would think they could make it very similar to our stock units.

I want one for a 68' b body console, gunslinger didn't have anything. I have some pics of stock modded shifter to keep it from going into neutral. Here they are if you're interested. But still dosen't give me the pistol grip I'd like.

Attachments

• neutrallockout.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 735
  • neutrallockout2.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 1,513
.......reverse.........valve..........body............

I have seen the Gunslinger set-up at our Mopars in the Park show. Ran it through the gears on the display mock up. Worked fine since it was a stock slap stick, but the trigger wasn't in a good ergonomic position which shouldn't matter too much due to the way the slap stick works. The pistol grip was straight, not angled like the four speed- another minor gripe. If you are hot and bothered for a pistol grip I think its the only game around, but I prefer the T handle.

I called Gunslinger and they said they don't have anything for our application yet....but are working on something that may or may not be prototype ready my Carlyle in July.

Did some researching and found that other boards have this from restorick.
http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AutoPistolGrip

On this model you tilt the pistolgrip down to actuate the detent. It appears you use your stock shift lever but not sure yet.

The Duncan Motor Sports Shift-r-arm does look very cool but seems like some cons on user friendlyness.

I'm going to call or email restorick for the real skinny on his grip. :coffee2:

I ordered the restorick autogrip pistol grip shifter after talking with Rick. The grip slides down over our stock shift levers, utilizing the stock mechanism. You just depress the grip just like your original button and slide your shifter into the chosen gear. After perusing other mopar sites and seeing applications on slapsticks and then speaking with Rick, I ordered one up. Guys on other sites rave about the quality and workmanship, not to mention the ease of installation. I can't wait to receive it.
I'll post pics when I get it and again on installation.

-
Back