727 question

-

Hadahemi

Reaction score
Doing some research on 727 rebuilds, and I'm curious about something...I understand how important it is for the throttle pressure linkage to be adjusted correctly, but I haven't been able to find the results of when it's set wrong. Exactly what happens to destroy the trans so quick when the adjustment is off? Is the failure different if the adjustment was too "high" as opposed to too "low"?

To low, or not at all will destroy the insides VERY quickly. I learned the hard way and killed mu trans in about 20 miles or less.

To adjust the rods from up top to the trans, there are 2 adjustment points (On some if not all models, this I am unsure of) The rod moves the lever on the trans. It is adjusted corectly when you put it into drive and you shift from first to second in a normal like manor at about 10 mph, give or take a couple mph's.

(There is an actual speed for this, but *I think* it is car dependent)

Anyway, to continue on,

When you shift from second to drive, it should also be a normal thing @ around 25 mmph. Again, give or take.

To much pressure will have the trans shift late. In example, you'll be in 2nd till 55 or first till 40 with light throttle pressure.

When you get this figured out, take it for a wide open throttle pass and see what it does.

Thanks for the input Rumble, but what I'm looking for is exactly what gets damaged and how- when the adjustment is wrong.

Ahh, this was just mentioned somewhere else...they said something about the apply bands I think...dang! I just read this.... :(

To low, or not at all will destroy the insides VERY quickly. I learned the hard way and killed mu trans in about 20 miles or less.

To adjust the rods from up top to the trans, there are 2 adjustment points (On some if not all models, this I am unsure of) The rod moves the lever on the trans. It is adjusted corectly when you put it into drive and you shift from first to second in a normal like manor at about 10 mph, give or take a couple mph's.

(There is an actual speed for this, but *I think* it is car dependent)

Anyway, to continue on,

When you shift from second to drive, it should also be a normal thing @ around 25 mmph. Again, give or take.

To much pressure will have the trans shift late. In example, you'll be in 2nd till 55 or first till 40 with light throttle pressure.

When you get this figured out, take it for a wide open throttle pass and see what it does.

Your right, except the best way to adjust the kickdown is to make sure you kickdown lever on the transmission is all the way forward and the one on the carb is all the way forward tight on the throttle at idle. This way as soon as the throttle is moved, the lever on the trans will move. If you do not adjust it this way you will destroy the transmission in time.

Yes! I agree. excellet addition. Thank you.

The throttle pressure linkage is connected a pressure regulator that regulates clutch pack pressure so at light throttle the pressure is low and it doesn't slam the gear in. At wide open throttle the pressure is high so the clutches lock up without slipping. If left unhooked it burns up the clutch plates real fast. Generally there's no problem with it being too high as it's limited by the line regulator.

................When the kd isnt set up enough, the pressure is too low to hold the clutches applied, so they start too slip making more clearance, thus slipping all the more till the vehical refuses too move.....same goes 4 the bands....kim.........

-
Back